[SOLVED] Installed a new RAM and my PC crashes when playing a game. Please help!

Nov 14, 2020
Hi, a complete amature here so forgive me if I misunderstand something.

So today I upgraded my RAM to 16GBx2 DDR4/3600 G.Skill Trident Z RGB and then I set the XMP to Profile 1 to get the speed to 3600MHz like advertised. It worked fine until I started running a game (Anno 1800). After a few minutes of playing, my whole PC crashed with the message "MEMORY MANAGEMENT".

I've tried to find a fix and someone suggested updating BIOS might help, so I did. Unfortunately the problem persists.

My motherboard is Aorus Z390 Elite and I installed the RAM on slot A2 and B2 if that helps.

This is the full spec of my rig:
CPU: Intel i9 9900KF
GPU: RTX 2070Super
PSU: Deep Cool DQ750ST

Can anyone please help me identify the problem? It's probably a little oversight by me because I couldn't find anyone else having the same issue.

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Solution
I used memory diagnosis instead of gaming. These are the results so far:

-Stocked: Both passed the test

-XMP: Failed the test

-Manually set to 3500MHz with timings like XMP: Failed the test

-Manually set to 3200MHz, 16-18-18-36: Passed the test

I have no idea what I'm doing and just shooting in the dark here honestly. This is frustrating.

It seems to me that the board can't handle more than 3200MHz which is suck. The only reason I paid more for 3600 version instead of 3200 (which is quite a lot where I come from) is because I researched beforehand and Aorus Z390 Elite was supposed to support up to 4xxx.
Yes it is frustrating, however on their spec page, Gigabyte specifically says "(Please refer "Memory Support List" for...
Hi, a complete amature here so forgive me if I misunderstand something.

So today I upgraded my RAM to 16GBx2 DDR4/3600 G.Skill Trident Z RGB and then I set the XMP to Profile 1 to get the speed to 3600MHz like advertised. It worked fine until I started running a game (Anno 1800). After a few minutes of playing, my whole PC crashed with the message "MEMORY MANAGEMENT".

I've tried to find a fix and someone suggested updating BIOS might help, so I did. Unfortunately the problem persists.

My motherboard is Aorus Z390 Elite and I installed the RAM on slot A2 and B2 if that helps.

This is the full spec of my rig:
CPU: Intel i9 9900KF
GPU: RTX 2070Super
PSU: Deep Cool DQ750ST

Can anyone please help me identify the problem? It's probably a little oversight by me because I couldn't find anyone else having the same issue.

Thank you very much for all your answers.
RAM exact part number, please

Nov 14, 2020
Nov 14, 2020
As you bought a new kit, I would exchange it for a kit that is referenced as compatible by GSkill for you mobo.
Here you have the list of compatible 2x16 Gb 3600 MHz kits listed by GSkill

Oh... this has turned out to be bigger than I'd imagined. I'm not sure about my retail's refund policy at all.

Is that an only option? Can't I manually create a profile somehow by any chance?

Nov 14, 2020
As you bought a new kit, I would exchange it for a kit that is referenced as compatible by GSkill for you mobo.
Here you have the list of compatible 2x16 Gb 3600 MHz kits listed by GSkill

These are all 32GB ram my retail has:
  • 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3600 RAM PC (แรมพีซี) G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
  • 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3600 RAM PC (แรมพีซี) THERMALTAKE TOUGHRAM RGB (R009D416GX2-3600C18A)
  • 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3600 RAM PC (แรมพีซี) THERMALTAKE TOUGHRAM RGB (WHITE) (R022D416GX2-3600C18A)
I consulted with the list here: Compatible Memory with GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ELITE - Pangoly
None of these three seem to be compatible. Does that mean I can't ever use 32GB with 3600MHz?

Last edited:
OK. Install a software called CPU-Z. By using CPU-Z, look on the SPD tab: you will see the list of the speeds and timings supported by your RAM.
And you can enter one of the slower profiles manually in the bios, and see what happens

Nov 14, 2020
OK. Install a software called CPU-Z. By using CPU-Z, look on the SPD tab: you will see the list of the speeds and timings supported by your RAM.
And you can enter one of the slower profiles manually in the bios, and see what happens

This is shown:

This is not OC by the way. I disabled XMP once I knew it would crash my PC.

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed from here. I'm sorry. Does it mean I simply have to increase the V to 1.350 to use the 1801MHz?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020
Indeed there are not many different profile included in the RAM sticks.
I would try to enter manually:
speed 3200 Mhz and timings 16-18-18-36
Refer to your manual page 27-28 to see how to proceed in the Bios
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-elite_v3_e.pdf

I have no idea what I'm doing and just shooting in the dark here honestly. This is frustrating.

It seems to me that the board can't handle more than 3200MHz which is suck. The only reason I paid more for 3600 version instead of 3200 (which is quite a lot where I come from) is because I researched beforehand and Aorus Z390 Elite was supposed to support up to 4xxx.

Yes it is frustrating, however on their spec page, Gigabyte specifically says "(Please refer "Memory Support List" for more information.) "
Moreover there are contradictions between the lists from Gigabyte and GSkill.
GKSkill on it's configurator does not support RAM with speed higher than 3600, and only references 5 kits of 2x16 Gb 3600 MHz

However, the better news is that Intel systems as yours's, are much less dependent of RAM speed than AMD systems, due to completely different architectures.
The difference between 3200 and 3600 MHz would be hardly noticed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
Nov 14, 2020
Yes it is frustrating, however on their spec page, Gigabyte specifically says "(Please refer "Memory Support List" for more information.) "
Moreover there are contradictions between the lists from Gigabyte and GSkill.
GKSkill on it's configurator does not support RAM with speed higher than 3600, and only references 5 kits of 2x16 Gb 3600 MHz

However, the better news is that Intel systems as yours's, are much less dependent of RAM speed than AMD systems, due to completely different architectures.
The difference between 3200 and 3600 MHz would be hardly noticed.

Hello again

So my retail actually accepted a full refund for it so it's a relief.

I still need to upgrade my RAM and still would like to go with 3600MHz (Sorry!) The stick I'm interested in is CORSAIR RAM PC DDR4 32GB/3600MHZ CL18 (16GBX2) VENGEANCE RGB PRO AMD RYZEN READY BLACK (CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ) which, from the Corsair site (Here: Memory Finder | Build with CORSAIR), it should be compatible with my motherboard. However, it's not listed on the Gigabye site (Here: Z390 AORUS ELITE DDR4-QVL-20191108.xlsx (gigabyte.com))

It's not a double negative like the previous stick so do you think it will be okay? I'd hate it if I had to return it again.

If that fails, another stick I'm interested in is 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200 RAM PC CORSAIR VENGEANCE (RED) (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16R). This one is listed on both the Corsair site and Gigabyte site.

Thank you for bearing with me for the past few days. You're awesome!

Hello again

So my retail actually accepted a full refund for it so it's a relief.

I still need to upgrade my RAM and still would like to go with 3600MHz (Sorry!) The stick I'm interested in is CORSAIR RAM PC DDR4 32GB/3600MHZ CL18 (16GBX2) VENGEANCE RGB PRO AMD RYZEN READY BLACK (CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ) which, from the Corsair site (Here: Memory Finder | Build with CORSAIR), it should be compatible with my motherboard. However, it's not listed on the Gigabye site (Here: Z390 AORUS ELITE DDR4-QVL-20191108.xlsx (gigabyte.com))

It's not a double negative like the previous stick so do you think it will be okay? I'd hate it if I had to return it again.

If that fails, another stick I'm interested in is 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200 RAM PC CORSAIR VENGEANCE (RED) (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16R). This one is listed on both the Corsair site and Gigabyte site.

Thank you for bearing with me for the past few days. You're awesome!
As I said, I would go with the 3200 MHz that is listed on the QVL from the motherboard. The difference between 3600 and 3200 MHz on an Intel system is not worth the headache (in fact practically no difference)