[SOLVED] Installed a new SSD issues

May 21, 2020
So I purchased a 200ish gb SSD for Windows and some games (Arma, COD etc) so I can boot up faster. I have successfully installed windows onto my ssd and reattached my SATA cables to my hard drive and I thought that’s all it takes. But I have had to redownload stream, origin, discord etc. Evidently just because they are on my HDD doesn’t mean I can simply open them. My question is: is it worth just formatting the HDD to wipe it and start new with games and files? I could download steam to my HDD then individually download certain games onto my SSD? Thanks.

Solution
So I can’t download to steam app onto the hard drive? This makes it easier for the default storage for steam to be the hard drive for useless small workshop downloads etc
It won't work, the STEAM app must be installed on the OS drive, the game folder can be on any drive, even a networked drive. Simply set the download folder in the app as described on the STEAM help page.

RealBeast

Titan
So I purchased a 200ish gb SSD for Windows and some games (Arma, COD etc) so I can boot up faster. I have successfully installed windows onto my ssd and reattached my SATA cables to my hard drive and I thought that’s all it takes. But I have had to redownload stream, origin, discord etc. Evidently just because they are on my HDD doesn’t mean I can simply open them. My question is: is it worth just formatting the HDD to wipe it and start new with games and files? I could download steam to my HDD then individually download certain games onto my SSD? Thanks.
Not sure with all of the games, but with the STEAM games you do not have to re-download. You have to install the STEAM app on the SSD and then point it to the folder on the HDD where the games are. HERE are some STEAM comments on making that change. The same may be true for Origin and others, so check their support pages before doing a new download.

May 21, 2020
Not sure with all of the games, but with the STEAM games you do not have to re-download. You have to install the STEAM app on the SSD and then point it to the folder on the HDD where the games are. HERE are some STEAM comments on making that change. The same may be true for Origin and others, so check their support pages before doing a new download.
So I can’t download to steam app onto the hard drive? This makes it easier for the default storage for steam to be the hard drive for useless small workshop downloads etc

RealBeast

Titan
It won't work, the STEAM app must be installed on the OS drive, the game folder can be on any drive, even a networked drive. Simply set the download folder in the app as described on the STEAM help page.

Solution