Installed an Arctic Accelero on my GPU, now temp jumps massively as soon as I start a game and screen goes black

Tvei

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
The stock fan on my Sapphire R7 260X stopped working properly so I bought this ARCTIC Accelero L2 PLUS as a cheap replacement.

Now I just installed it and normal browsing and such seems to work fine, but when I test-run Wasteland 2 the temperature increases by 20-30°C within seconds (almost instantly) and the screen goes black and "signal is lost" message appears on the screen and there's a buzzing sound. (The PC doesn't shut down though, it keeps "running" and I have to shut it down and restart manually.)

Could the thermal paste be the issue? It was pre-applied but I had to re-arrange the heatsink once during installation, maybe that caused issues?

Solution
Yes, it's recommended to re-apply thermal paste whenever the heat sink is removed (When the thermal paste is old). Moreover ensure good contact between the processor and Heatsink.

Aizazst

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Yes, it's recommended to re-apply thermal paste whenever the heat sink is removed (When the thermal paste is old). Moreover ensure good contact between the processor and Heatsink.

Solution