[SOLVED] Installed an RX 570 with a generic PSU. Weird things started to happen

PiztoLice

Commendable
Jan 4, 2020
Long story short

I installed an RX 570 along with a generic, unknown brand "700" watts power supply

So i just got an RX 570 installed it on my unit using a generic power supply but then I noticed something different, it requires an 8 pin but my cheap power supply doesn't have an 8 pin for a gpu, just some good old molex connectors with some SATA power connectors. So then i bought a molex 8 pin connector but then I noticed something again, the molex from the power supply can't reach the hard drive up to the GPU so i bought a molex splitter.

BOOM! It works!

I ran a game, was able to get into a match but not even a minute, the pc crashes with a power surge asus warning. Succesfuly opened the pc again 2nd time and got into a game but this time I was met with a black screen and a 'buzzing' sound. Did a little tiny bit of research and figured it was just overheating problems so i replaced the thermal paste from my CPU, same thing happens. Did even more research and figured my whole PC is not getting enough voltages from this cheap power supply. Just wanna get assurance if my assumption is correct? So i wouldn't be wasting money for a branded power supply if it's unnecessary

Solution
If your 700w noname psu was capable of delivering extra 8 pin power, it would have come with an 8 pin lead.

You seem to be lucky in that no other components were damaged.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher...
If your 700w noname psu was capable of delivering extra 8 pin power, it would have come with an 8 pin lead.

You seem to be lucky in that no other components were damaged.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not use one.

Buy a quality unit. Seasonic focus 550/650w would be good.

Solution