[SOLVED] Installed GPU, now no audio over HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilljockey

Prominent
May 12, 2019
I have windows 10, msi b450 tomahawk mobo, ryzen 2400g, 8gb x 2 3200mhz ram, using tv and surround sound as monitor, everything worked fine until I installed a new rx 570 gpu. Graphics performance improved a lot, but now no audio through hdmi on gpu. I've tried reinstalling drivers for Msi mobo, amd, windows, realtek, everything I can think of. If I remove the gpu, and plug hdmi back into the mobo, works fine, amd hd audio shows up in audio devices. Reinstall gpu and plug hdmi back to gpu, video but no audio, amd hd audio shows up in system devices. Directx diagnostic shows no sound card. I've tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Pilljockey

Prominent
May 12, 2019
I hadthe same thought, but I checked that, with no gpu, it shows amd HD audio, works flawlessly by default, with gpu, it says no device connected, I can't get it to recognize amd HD audio as a sound driver.

Pilljockey

Prominent
May 12, 2019
Yes, I tried a few times, the first time I wasnt sure if the HD audio box was checked, but the second time I definitely did. The third time I made sure to uninstall and wipe all the amd drivers. I also tried changing them to the non amd, thinking there might be a conflict with the realtek drivers, but no change.

Pilljockey

Prominent
May 12, 2019
Ok thank you all for the advice everybody, I really appreciate it. I've put in about 9 hours trying to get this figured out, seems like I'm the only one who has ever had this problem. Thanks for the link knickle, I submitted a ticket to them, but it was a customer care link, I think yours will be more useful.

May 23, 2019
Ok thank you all for the advice everybody, I really appreciate it. I've put in about 9 hours trying to get this figured out, seems like I'm the only one who has ever had this problem. Thanks for the link knickle, I submitted a ticket to them, but it was a customer care link, I think yours will be more useful.
You are not alone. I too am having the same problem and I am very savvy about these things. I cannot get the damn thing to work with my RX570. I have a Ryzen 5 2400g and the sound and pic are both fine thru it. Audio drivers are there and selectable, but as soon as I install my GPU the drivers disappear and are either not there at all or are hidden because the device is not connected error 45, yet obviously it is connected because the video is working. Tried different monitors, HDMI cables, DDU, multiple reinstalls, disabling onboard audio, reinstall windows, cmos reset.. nothing seems to work :(

Pilljockey

Prominent
May 12, 2019
I ended up getting the issue resolved, although I'm not sure what exactly did the trick. Between AMD and Micro Center tech support, they suggested defective motherboard and/or GPU. I ended up trading in the Tomahawk b450 for a ROG Strix B450-F mobo and traded the Powercolor RX 570 for a Sapphire RX 590. Now everything functions properly. Nobody could explain what went wrong, my best guess is either defective equipment, or a bad hardware combination. I did notice that both mobos limit PCI-E lanes to 8 instead of the 16 lanes recommended by both GPU companies when using the Ryzen APU with integrated graphics, maybe the first combo blocked the audio channel? I don't know enough about that, but I am looking forward to upgrading to a dedicated CPU now that I have a decent graphics card. I hope you figure out your issue, sounds like our problems are very similar. I'll help you if I can, but I'm still a noob. Ended up being about 25 hours of troubleshooting, and I learned a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.