Question Installed home edition, but account is linked to pro; doesn't let me upgrade for free or without installing

Sep 5, 2021
So, I installed Windows 10 home edition, forgetting that my Microsoft account's linked product key is a pro version not a home version. I upgraded to Windows 11 while still on home edition, until I noticed the problem.

When I follow instructions to upgrade to pro with my license key this is what happens.

Windows 10 Pro upgrade link

So, I click the link saying "I have a Windows 10 Pro product key", but that takes me back to the regular activation settings for home edition key shown in this picture.

Windows Home edition activation

Plus, I can't even find a way online to get the product key linked to my account to be used.

I am a little lost, and I spent a lot of time installing windows 10 and 11, so I don't want to manually reinstall windows 10 pro just so it gets activated. Is there a way to freely upgrade to an edition that my linked account supports?

Sep 5, 2021
so your windows 11 isn't connect to the same microsoft account?
I signed in to my Windows 10 Home edition -> Windows 11 Home edition with my Microsoft account. Unfortunately, my Microsoft account's linked product key is only for the pro version. So, it claims I need to activate windows, since my pro key doesn't match a home edition.

TRENDING THREADS