Installed LAN Driver, being asked to plug in ethernet cable, when it is plugged in

samcoarse

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hi,

I'm putting together a new pc and i'm up to the final, but time consuming hurdle...

I've installed the Intel LAN driver onto a H170 motherboard and it is showing in Network Adapters without an error. The ethernet port is not picking up the cable.

I've tried trawling through various forums for solutions, but can't find any that work.

I've tried:

unplugging the power supply, replugging and rebooting.
Installing an older version of the same driver
switching the ethernet cable (twice)

Is the motherboard faulty? What else can I do to have this work?

Solution
Why it does not work can be down to the capability of the router or device it is connected to.

Since the motherboard is new the on board Network adapter will have three types of speed settings.

10/100/1000.

Your router for example may only have Ethernet ports that work at a maximum speed of 100Mbps. and cannot work at the 1000 speed setting or 1 Gbps transfer speeds.

And is why when you plug your Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port of your network adapter on your motherboard you get no lights or link speed status lights.

Go to Device manager and left double click on your network adapter listed.
Click on the advanced tab.
Click on the speed and duplex settings.

Manually set the speed of the Adapters Ethernet port to 100 Full...
Why it does not work can be down to the capability of the router or device it is connected to.

Since the motherboard is new the on board Network adapter will have three types of speed settings.

10/100/1000.

Your router for example may only have Ethernet ports that work at a maximum speed of 100Mbps. and cannot work at the 1000 speed setting or 1 Gbps transfer speeds.

And is why when you plug your Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port of your network adapter on your motherboard you get no lights or link speed status lights.

Go to Device manager and left double click on your network adapter listed.
Click on the advanced tab.
Click on the speed and duplex settings.

Manually set the speed of the Adapters Ethernet port to 100 Full duplex.
Click ok, or apply.

Restart your system and see if your link speed led indicators are working, light up.
You should now have an internet, or network connection to your router,hub, or switch.

Solution