Question Installed M.2 Drive and Now in auto repair loop.

Dec 5, 2021
So I installed a new m.2 drive into my pc, and now when powering it on it starts doing an automatic repair. It then goes to a blue screen that says continue or troubleshoot. The continue button just goes in a loop, and I haven't been able to get any of the troubleshooting options to work. I attempted to just reset my pc but it tells me that there was an issue and doesn't do anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Is this new drive for data ONLY or do you want it to be your boot drive?

If it is a boot drive, did you clone or image your old installation to the new drive or did you do a clean install?

If you did a clean install to the new drive, were there ANY other drives connected other than this new drive?

Dec 5, 2021
Is this new drive for data ONLY or do you want it to be your boot drive?

If it is a boot drive, did you clone or image your old installation to the new drive or did you do a clean install?

If you did a clean install to the new drive, were there ANY other drives connected other than this new drive?
It was meant to just be for data. However now that I can't launch windows anyways I've been trying to install it onto this drive unsuccessfully.

Dec 5, 2021
Will the PC boot now with ONLY 1 drive connected.......either just the old drive or just the new drive?

If you are attempting to install Windows to any drive, NO other drive should be connected.
Yea it boots into that auto repair mode with the old drive connected. Now with the new drive I just watches a video on moving the windows installer from the USB onto the drive and now it seems to be installing.

Dec 5, 2021
Yea it boots into that auto repair mode with the old drive connected. Now with the new drive I just watches a video on moving the windows installer from the USB onto the drive and now it seems to be installing.
Cancel that, after getting to the finishing up section it says, windows needs to restart to continue. And then takes me back to the install screen it starts on.

Not sure what you want to attempt next, but I'd remove one drive or the other and concentrate on either:

1: getting Windows running on the old drive alone, with the new drive removed

OR:

2; getting Windows running on the new drive alone, with the old drive removed

If you intend to do a clean install to the new drive, I'd use a bootable USB stick made with the help of Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

I have no idea what you have been using to attempt your install.

Dec 5, 2021
Not sure what you want to attempt next, but I'd remove one drive or the other and concentrate on either:

1: getting Windows running on the old drive alone, with the new drive removed

OR:

2; getting Windows running on the new drive alone, with the old drive removed

If you intend to do a clean install to the new drive, I'd use a bootable USB stick made with the help of Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

I have no idea what you have been using to attempt your install.
I have all drives except for the new one disconnected, and have been using a USB stick with the media creation tool on it to try and install it. This is where I've been stuck as trying to install into the unallocated space brings me into the restart loop.

Dec 5, 2021
I have all drives except for the new one disconnected, and have been using a USB stick with the media creation tool on it to try and install it. This is where I've been stuck as trying to install into the unallocated space brings me into the restart loop.
Ok so, I unplugged the new drive and plugged the other 2 back into the original sata ports they were in that were disabled by the m.2 and now it boots back into my windows fine. But I still can't connect the new drive without everything breaking

Can you or can't you boot from the old drive alone, with no other drive connected?

If your original intent was to use the new drive for data ONLY, it might be simpler for you to get the old drive working as a boot drive again, rather than continue to try to use the new drive as a boot drive.

If you insist on using the new drive as a boot drive, I can only suggest that you go back to Microsoft's site and make a new installer. You've gone astray somewhere....assuming the new drive is not defective. There are many tutorials on the web about installing with the Microsoft tool. It's tough to say where you have gone wrong.

Dec 5, 2021
Can you or can't you boot from the old drive alone, with no other drive connected?

If your original intent was to use the new drive for data ONLY, it might be simpler for you to get the old drive working as a boot drive again, rather than continue to try to use the new drive as a boot drive.

If you insist on using the new drive as a boot drive, I can only suggest that you go back to Microsoft's site and make a new installer. You've gone astray somewhere....assuming the new drive is not defective. There are many tutorials on the web about installing with the Microsoft tool. It's tough to say where you have gone wrong.
I don't know what changed but I literally just unplugged the new drive plugged in the 2 old drives and then plugged the new drive back in and all of a sudden everything is working again. And I've got the new drive setup and portioned now. So I've got no idea what the issue was or how it was fixed but thank you for the assistance I appreciate it.

Good job. Flaky stuff like that can happen.

Booting from the old drive, new drive for data only as you originally wanted?

I was wondering if your PC was attempting to boot off the new drive even though you had never successfully installed Windows on it.

I was going to ask you a bunch of stuff about your boot menu and BIOS settings, but that would have been a rat hole to go down.

Dec 5, 2021
Good job. Flaky stuff like that can happen.

Booting from the old drive, new drive for data only as you originally wanted?

I was wondering if your PC was attempting to boot off the new drive even though you had never successfully installed Windows on it.

I was going to ask you a bunch of stuff about your boot menu and BIOS settings, but that would have been a rat hole to go down.
Yea got the new drive just for data now. :) yea I was wondering that too but I had changed the boot order to make sure I had the right one at the start but it was telling me the right one was the boot drive. Maybe it reset it one of the times I tried to unplug and replug the old ones. Whatever the case was I'm just happy I'm done with that headache. Thanks again