[SOLVED] Installed M.2 ssd and now the ssd I had Windows on doesn't show up in bios to boot up

Apr 14, 2021
I wanted more ssd space so I bought an m.2 and installed it and when I tried to boot up my pc it's telling me I have no drive with an os. I looked through all my options in my bios and my ssd with win10 on it doesn't show up anymore. My ssd is hooked up properly and everything as I was using my pc just before I put the m.2 in and I just double checked the wiring.

Solution
Mobo is Gigabyte H170 gaming 3 my m.2 is western digital 500GB nvme ssd. My ssd is I believe a samsung 960 evo 250GB and one of my Hdds is a seagate barracuda 2TB and I don't know the other hdd
From the specs page...
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H170-Gaming-3-rev-10/sp#sp

"Refer to "1-8 Internal Connectors," for the supported configurations with the M.2, SATA Express, and SATA connectors. "

There is a conflict between M.2, SATA, etc.
That section in the manual will lay out the applicable configs.

USAFRet

Titan
I wanted more ssd space so I bought an m.2 and installed it and when I tried to boot up my pc it's telling me I have now drive with an os. I looked through all my options in my bios and my ssd with win10 on it doesn't show up anymore. My ssd is hooked up properly and everything as I was using my pc just before I put the m.2 in and I just double checked the wiring.
What specific drives, and what specific motherboard?
Often, when using a drive in an M.2 port, one or more of the SATA ports will be disabled.

Knowing the specific parts will help discover.
And the "fix" may be as easy as moving the SATA data cable to a different port on the motherboard.

Apr 14, 2021
What specific drives, and what specific motherboard?
Often, when using a drive in an M.2 port, one or more of the SATA ports will be disabled.

Knowing the specific parts will help discover.
And the "fix" may be as easy as moving the SATA data cable to a different port on the motherboard.
Mobo is Gigabyte H170 gaming 3 my m.2 is western digital 500GB nvme ssd. My ssd is I believe a samsung 960 evo 250GB and one of my Hdds is a seagate barracuda 2TB and I don't know the other hdd

USAFRet

Titan
From the specs page...
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-H170-Gaming-3-rev-10/sp#sp

"Refer to "1-8 Internal Connectors," for the supported configurations with the M.2, SATA Express, and SATA connectors. "

There is a conflict between M.2, SATA, etc.
That section in the manual will lay out the applicable configs.

Reactions: Dullsilver
Solution
Apr 14, 2021
Yep that was it, read the manual and turns out when I use the top m.2 slot it disables all the Sata express slots and that was my issue so I switched to the bottom mount and problem solved. Lesson learned to always read the manual before install.

Reactions: USAFRet