[SOLVED] Installed M.2 SSD, Now I can not get Windows 10 to boot.

Jan 26, 2020
SPECS:
Asus ROG Z370-E
Intel i-7-8700k Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz
Seagate SV35 SATA HD
Addlink S70 SSD

I needed additional storage on my computer and decided to try out an Addlink S70 SSD. I was hoping to keep Windows on my old HD and just use the SSD for game storage. I installed the SSD into the M2.1 slot on my motherboard and now when I boot my computer it goes straight to UEFI. All hard drives are visible, but Windows will not boot from my old HD with the new one installed. I removed the SSD and my computer booted up normally. I even reinstalled the SSD in the M.2.2 slot and it booted normally but my computer didn't recognize the new drive. It is possible to keep Windows on my old HD or would I need to make the new SSD my boot drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Assuming you get everything recognised, you are doing yourself a disservice. When you load up a game, it goes to a windows temp cache folder, and any saved games are held on C drive in windows too. Only the actual game files are held elsewhere if using alternate storage.

So you have windows on hdd. Game on ssd. You load the game, it gets loaded onto the hdd in a working folder. You play the game, now still from the hdd. Everything is like this, even games located on C, they get held in the temp folder. So everything from websurfing to YouTube to games to windows is all going to be run at hdd speeds. Not ssd.

Migrate your windows to ssd instead, move over anything relevant. That way the ssd is now C drive and everything gets run at ssd...
try changing the boot priority in bios?

SPECS:
Asus ROG Z370-E
Intel i-7-8700k Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz
Seagate SV35 SATA HD
Addlink S70 SSD

I needed additional storage on my computer and decided to try out an Addlink S70 SSD. I was hoping to keep Windows on my old HD and just use the SSD for game storage. I installed the SSD into the M2.1 slot on my motherboard and now when I boot my computer it goes straight to UEFI. All hard drives are visible, but Windows will not boot from my old HD with the new one installed. I removed the SSD and my computer booted up normally. I even reinstalled the SSD in the M.2.2 slot and it booted normally but my computer didn't recognize the new drive. It is possible to keep Windows on my old HD or would I need to make the new SSD my boot drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 26, 2020
Consult your motherboard manual to determine what SATA ports get disabled when installing an M.2 SSD (resource issue). This is the likely issue, to resolve use other available SATA ports.
I thought that was the case as well. According to the User Manual M2_1 disables SATA Port 2 of which I have nothing connected to.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming you get everything recognised, you are doing yourself a disservice. When you load up a game, it goes to a windows temp cache folder, and any saved games are held on C drive in windows too. Only the actual game files are held elsewhere if using alternate storage.

So you have windows on hdd. Game on ssd. You load the game, it gets loaded onto the hdd in a working folder. You play the game, now still from the hdd. Everything is like this, even games located on C, they get held in the temp folder. So everything from websurfing to YouTube to games to windows is all going to be run at hdd speeds. Not ssd.

Migrate your windows to ssd instead, move over anything relevant. That way the ssd is now C drive and everything gets run at ssd speeds not the hdd speeds.

The addlink s70 is NVMe, not standard Sata3 ssd,

M2_2 will disable 2x Sata ports 5/6, in pcie x4 mode.

M2_1 disables Sata port 1, pcie x4 only.

According to Asus.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 26, 2020
Well after reading Kardgne's post, I've decided to just install Windows onto the new SSD. After your explanation, it would seem foolish to not move things over. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you are going to put a fresh Install onto the NVMe, only plug that in. Don't plug the hdd in yet or Windows will automatically link the 2 drives and you'll end up with bits of windows on the hdd as well. Kinda sucks Microsoft did it that way, used to be windows stayed on C as it is supposed to.