Installed new cooler and HD, now endless reboot, underpowered? Fried MOBO?

aotinae

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Hi. I'm new here, and new to building, so thank you in advance for any help.

Background: I just installed a Corsair H80i cooler, a new HD (WD Blue 3T), and two new 140mm fans for the front.

Problem: When I put everything back together I found myself in an endless reboot cycle.

Additional Observations: When I start it up all the fans come on, the pump on the cooler comes online, I hear fluid moving, I see the corsair cooler led come on, LED on front of case comes on, but not the LED on the MOBO, not the led for HD activity. I did move around the SSD and swapped SATA cords with the new HD, but don't think that has anything to do with anything.

What I've tried: I searched these forums and elsewhere and so, 1) I replaced/blew dust out of my ram, 2) checked and rechecked new connections, 3) checked old connections, 4) took out new cooler and added new heat sink paste and spread it evenly on complete surface (included paste is in a circle, doesn't cover corners of CPU) 5) I tried disconnecting the new HD and trying again, 6) I tried disconnecting the usb corsair-link cord and tried it disconnected before reconnecting and trying again, 7) tried disconnecting power to the new cooler (trying to rule-out power issue), but still reboots. And now, 8) I'm here.

Here is my system:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI LG1151 Intel Z170 ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k (not OC'd yet, but i hope to)
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K2200
RAM: 4x16 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series
HHD1: Seagate Barracuda 3TB
HHD2: WD Blue 3TB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250G
OLD Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with 120mm PWM Fan
NEW Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 80 PLUS GOLD 650W

aotinae

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
update:

- tried removing cooler and boot without. same boot loop.
- tried cleaning cpu and surrounding area of all excess thermal paste. no change.
- inspected for bent pins under cpu, none found.
- tried a different cpu (that worked on this machine last week before i upgraded). no change.
- tried booting without ram installed. no change.
- tried using compressed air to thoroughly remove dust from ram slots and reinstall ram. no change.
- tried a different graphics card. no change.
- tried no graphics card, no cooler. no change.
- unplugged and re-plugged CPU power and MOBO power on each end. no change.
- removed stand-offs for cooler in case one was causing a short (I used the old bracket because the new one was loose and broke when I tried to tighten it down). No change.

I'm pretty well convinced I fried my motherboard. If anyone can confirm or cast doubt on this I would be very grateful for any thoughts.

aotinae

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't try to return it. I bought a new Aorus 5K mobo and a static wrist strap, moved everything to the new board and it's all good. I think I just zapped my old board by being lazy with precautions.