[SOLVED] Installed new Cooling, now my second m.2 drive wont show. Asus z370e and XPG SX6000 Pro 1TB

HoloTheWise

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
I installed a new cooling unit (H100i) and I booted up my PC. all is well, temps are a big improvement.... but then I went to launch a game and it says the game is not on my hard drive. I look and my 1TB M.2 drive is not showing.....?

---------------
It is not in Explorer nor is it in Disk management.
The Drive is still warm to the touch like it is getting power

I re-seated the m.2 and it still does not detect.

I created a w10 installation media and it won't show there either.

I went into my bios and tried setting my m.2 to SATA and PCIE - neither fixed this
-------------

I did accidentally hit my mobo with a screwdriver during the install, but no visible damage was done... could this really have killed the m.2 slot?!?

I do not care if any methods suggested to get it showing again erases all the data on the m.2 , as it was just game files.

I want to try all software related fixes before I buy/RMA my mobo and be forced to redo my entire build...

EDIT **
I reset my bios to default, I then noticed in Device managment under "storage controllers" that my NVM drivers were corrupt. I uninstalled and rebooted. THEN the m.2 drive showed but anytime I tried something it gave the error "Incorrect Function". I tried wiping it via diskpart, disk management etc but it kept saying "Incorrect Function" - I rebooted windows and not it wont show up again

Is my mobo effed?

Last edited:
Solution
Possible mobo fry, how hard did you hit the board with the screwdriver and dumb question but was your power cable removed the whole time?
What model motherboard do you have?
Does it show in Diskpart at all right now?
One small bit, try turning off CSM (Compatibility Support Module ) in your BIOS.

noonanb0404

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
Possible mobo fry, how hard did you hit the board with the screwdriver and dumb question but was your power cable removed the whole time?
What model motherboard do you have?
Does it show in Diskpart at all right now?
One small bit, try turning off CSM (Compatibility Support Module ) in your BIOS.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS