Question Installed new cpu and computer will only boot to bios

Sep 23, 2022
I just swapped out my old cpu (ryzen 7 3800x) to a Ryzen 9 5900x and my pc will only boot into bios and doesn’t recognize any bootable drives I switched back to the old cpu and same problem. Windows is installed on my m.2 ssd drive. Full specs below for anyone wondering
Asus tuf gaming X570 Wi-Fi
(Now) Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3050 8GB GDDR6
Corsair 650 watt psu
Samsung 860 evo 1tb m.2 ssd
Thank you for any answers I’m still quite new to this so if I sound stupid that’s why
Update: side question if I were to just install a fresh windows off of a usb would I still have access to the files on my ssd id assume yes but not 100% sure
Update 2: tried to just install a fresh version of windows and it won’t let me install it to my ssd which already has windows on it

Last edited:
If you install from a USB and erase the drive you wouldn’t be able to get the files.

I would think an x570 board should have support for your cpu out of the package but I would suggest checking to see if there are any bios updates for your board in case it doesn’t support the 5900x on the current bios.

Sep 23, 2022
Sooo
If you install from a USB and erase the drive you wouldn’t be able to get the files.

I would think an x570 board should have support for your cpu out of the package but I would suggest checking to see if there are any bios updates for your board in case it doesn’t support the 5900x on the current bios.
So how do I check for a bios update can I put the update on a usb drive and so it through that?

I just swapped out my old cpu (ryzen 7 3800x) to a Ryzen 9 5900x and my pc will only boot into bios and doesn’t recognize any bootable drives I switched back to the old cpu and same problem.
Windows is installed on my m.2 ssd drive. Full specs below for anyone wondering
Did you update BIOS before replacing CPU ?
If yes, then BIOS settings got reset.
You have to return them to previous values.

Turn off secure boot.
Make sure sata controller is set to previous value (probably AHCI mode).
Check boot priority settings.

Sep 23, 2022
Did you update BIOS before replacing CPU ?
If yes, then BIOS settings got reset.
You have to return them to previous values.

Turn off secure boot.
Make sure sata controller is set to previous value (probably AHCI mode).
Check boot priority settings.
I didn’t update the bios and under boot priority I just have nothing I see my ssd in storage info but not under boot priority