Question Installed new cpu cooler 2 days ago, now no signal at all on monitor?

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
Hi guys,

Happy? New year!

So to keep this as short as possible I used my warranty on my X62 cpu cooler to RMA and get a X63 for a replacement as the RGB lights totally stopped working. I received the replacement two days ago and installed it. I used everything new, bracket, hardware screws etc all new, cleaned the cpu of thermal paste. 2 days later its still working fine, I shut the machine down and went to the shop, came back and powered it back on. No signal on the monitor and was stuck on A2 on the motherboard debug display and instantly powered off when I pressed the power button again. I tried rebooting it which seemed to get it past the A2 code but then it would still show no signal and cycle through from lower 20s to high 60s in the debug code. Then it just switched between to two states I just described every time I rebooted it. So I took the GPU out took out the CMOS and left it for 30 mins. Installed a new CMOS battery, reseated the GPU, still nothing. It is very strange as the only components I touched were the previous CPU cooler. I have tried booting with 1 drive connected at a time (i have 1 ssd and 2 HDD). I have tried 1 stick of RAM and switched between both sticks. I have tried re installing the cpu cooler again with new paste and making sure there was no paste on anything but the top of the cpu. I have tried building the whole computer from scratch tbh with no result! CPU cooler is installed and rock solid no movement, cpu fan connector is in solid. I am starting to think the PSU, Motherboard, CPU or RAM have gone bad as they are 5 years nearly 6 years old the 2080 is the youngest part at 1 year, I don't know really, I'm proper stumped! I've gone through the no post no video signal sticky thread and nothing has worked from there.

Specs:
Intel i7 4790k
MSI Z97 M Gaming
Zotac 2080
Hyper X Savage ddr3 8gb x2
evga 600w bronxe 80 plus
nzxt x63 kraken cooler and radiator

Massive thanks for any input

Max

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
Well if it wasnt broken before it is now... just bent some pins on the motherboard cpu sokcet trying to clean what I thought was thermal paste from overflow

dienex

Prominent
Jan 7, 2021
So after reinstalling the cpu cooler for the third time I did notice some thermal paste overflow with my magnifying glass so this may have been the cause of the initial no display? but I accidentally bent a pin on the motherboard and now after installing I am only getting the code 00 which I think means no CPU initialisation is happening, new motherboard will maybe solve all of this. would I need to do anything before installing a new motherboard? maybe only connect the boot drive and then reinstall windows, then connect additional drives? Man this is such a headache :(