Question Installed new CPU cooler. Now everything is dead.

Oct 29, 2020
Hello all,

First timer here. I just installed a new corsair h150i pro xt in my pc because the old bequiet shadow rock 2 blocked a ram slot. I also inserted my 4th ram stick with 16 gigs. In Addition I moved tue old rgb fans from the front to the upper side and the Back. When it came to cabeling I was pretty lost because all of the fans have 3 connectors. 1 to the mobo. 1 to some cable that comes from the psu (it says hdd / DVD). And 1 to a hub in the back of the case which I think is for RGB. The case is a sharkoon tg5. I hope I reconnected everything correctly again but even if not I do not think that is what killed my pc.

I briefly came into contact with the pre-applied paste and had a tiny bit on my Hand but everything still looked fine. I also had to move the pump a bit into place on the cpu which might have smeered the paste a bit. Hope thats no issue. And I am not entirely Sure anymore if the connection to the pump fan Slot was made when I tested the pc. The Sata cable I just plugged into a random sata cable coming from the psu.

One mistake I noticed was that I had a network card plugged in pcie but the usb connector was removed.

Long story short I turned the damn thing on, fans spinned for a second, no rgb, pc turned off. After pressing the power button nothing happened anymore.

So I unplugged the psu. Fan spins when doing the paper Clip test. Its a 750w bequiet.

So I think I shorted the mobo. And my question is: Are my other parts save? CPU, GPU and RAM? Would be fatal if not.

MSI z390 carbon
I9 9900k
RTX 2080 super
Corsair vengeance pro 16gb

Last edited:
So I went to a technician. He will analyse this today. I will update in case anyone is interested.
I'm going to suggest that you just got confused with cabling and have something loose or not connected that's needed. If you've checked and rechecked it's the best you can do and you're just missing it. A tech will almost certainly find it and get you fixed up, at least let's hope so.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
I'm going to suggest that you just got confused with cabling and have something loose or not connected that's needed. If you've checked and rechecked it's the best you can do and you're just missing it. A tech will almost certainly find it and get you fixed up, at least let's hope so.

Best of luck.

Yeah maybe. But what really bothers me is that it got Power for a second and after it shut Down the power button did nothing at all. No fans, no lights, no sounds. I am hoping for the best.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS