Apr 21, 2010
ok, here's my setup:

Asus Striker Extreme
E8400
Dual BFG 8800GTX OC'd editions
2x Corsair XMS2 2gb DDR2 6400
1000W enermax galaxy
Win 7 ultimate 64bit.

so, previously I was running an E6600 and things were fine, picked up an E8400 and put it in, and started having the blue screen where it'd only say "Hardware Failure - please contact etc etc for support, system halted". It happened a few times, at random intervals, and sometimes just sitting at idle.

I updated the BIOS with what asus has on their site, and seemed to have worked a bit better. Ran Prime95, it did its full stress tests, went on for a few hours, then I surfed the net a bit, and left the tower on overnight. Overnight it went into the blue screen.

So, I haven't changed any of the BIOS settings yet, since its all on auto right now after the update. I also updated my video card drivers from nvidia, but not the chpiset drivers (should i go with the asus driver? or the nvidia driver, which seems more up to date?)

Is there anything I else should be doing? Someone suggested to manually set the voltage for the CPU, and I'll probably manually time my RAM in the BIOS. Should I try re-installing windows? or is it the CPU that is faulty (even though it made it through the prime95 tests?) ?

Test your RAM 1 DIMM at a time with MEMtest86. If its not the memory its probably a bad driver did you reinstall windows after upgrading the processor its not neccesary but its always a good idea you might have a corrupted driver. Next time it blue Screens see what it says.

phoenixrage

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

well, thats all the blue screen says. "Hardware Failure - Contact Vendor/Man etc, - System Halted" and thats it, no memory dump, no other messages, just those 3 lines.

mrossco

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Nothing special comes to mind, but if I were in your spot, here's the steps I would take:

1) Reset BIOS to default settings. Make sure everything's stable before tweaking for performance. Make sure SATA mode is set appropriately (IDE vs. AHCI).

2) When you installed your CPU, make sure you didn't accidentally unseat a connection. Make sure your fans are plugged in correctly and go ahead and re-seat your RAM and PCI/PCI-E cards.

3) Make sure there isn't a timing issue and/or your mobo support 1333MHz CPUs. Your 6600 was only running at 1066MHz before...

4) Swap the 6600 back in and see if the problem persists.

5) As was stated early, run a memory checking utilitity like Memtest, especially after your system locks up.

I hope this helps...

phoenixrage

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
well, i'm using a thermaltake ultra 120 heatsink right now, so i guess i'll make sure its not on too tight, and i'll double check everything else. But like I said, it starts up fine, so I don't think that is the issue. I had it working for about 8+ hours yesterday without any issues. So I'm leaning towards some voltage/timing settings that I need to manually set instead of leaving it in auto.

E6600 was at 800MHz FSB, and the updated BIOS does support the 1333MHz FSB CPUs. I've seen a few posts around the web with people using the same setup, but they all post settings for overclocking, but I really just want stable stock settings right now.

TRENDING THREADS