Installed new CPU, no video signal out

Dusty_dust

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I decided to upgrade the CPU in the Compaq Presario cq5705p my grandparents gave me years ago that I've been stuck with. The CPU in it was an Athlon II 170u. I got an athlon II x4 630, which the motherboard, the Pegatron (Asus) M2N68-LA, is compatible with. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925534

I put in the CPU, put on the thermal paste and the heat sink, and when I turn on the computer, everything spins up and sounds normal, but the monitor gets no signal. I thought at first it might have been the 6150se (which had been randomly ceasing to work sometimes) had finally given up, but I put in a GT 1030 today and I also get no video signal out of it.

Solution
Go into your BIOS and make sure that it is set to use your PCIe slot as the primary video. If it is, then it might be the PCIe slot going bad. You can plug your monitor into the VGA port built on to the motherboard and see if that works. If it does, then it might be your motherboard PCIe slot having issues. You mentioned that the 6150e had been randomly ceasing to work. That could have been caused by a faulty slot and it just finally went out.

Dusty_dust

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017

Even if I take out the 1030, there still isn't any video signal.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Go into your BIOS and make sure that it is set to use your PCIe slot as the primary video. If it is, then it might be the PCIe slot going bad. You can plug your monitor into the VGA port built on to the motherboard and see if that works. If it does, then it might be your motherboard PCIe slot having issues. You mentioned that the 6150e had been randomly ceasing to work. That could have been caused by a faulty slot and it just finally went out.

Solution

The onboard graphics could still be failing, as you mentioned.
But that new of a GPU isn't compatible with the mobo.
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*
NOTE:
*Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

But the 6150e was. And it isn't working either now.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Ah, so it is. Still, it has a PCIe X16 slot. And when I look up "UEFI bios GTX1030" the only I found said that the 1000 series didn't need UEFI. Now where I read this was on the geforce forum and the MSI forum and was all anecdotal evidence, but is was supposedly by people who had it working. While some don't trust that type of evidence, I always try to give it some credence because I keep having people telling my my CPU/GPU combo shouldn't work very well but it keeps performing way better than what they claim it will. So I guess with anecdotal evidence, take it with a grain of salt, but don't just outright dismiss it either.

So if that is true, then the card should work.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

I have seen issues where a motherboard has an onboard AMD not accepting an external Nvidia and vice versa.