Installed new CPU, PC starts but displays nothing. Please help!

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be much appreciated:)!.

PC Specification
OS / Windows 7 64-bit
CPU / Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz ( upgrading to i7-4790k)
RAM / 2x Kingston 8GB DDR3
Motherboard / ASUS 787M-PLUS ( BIOS version 1107)
GPU / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
PSU / Corsair VS450

Problem
I installed my new CPU today and was faced with the problem of the machine powering up (fans, LED's etc. all powering) but there was no display on the monitor, nor was there any beeps coming from the machines internal speaker.

Solutions I have tried(none of which have worked)
-I have triple checked that the CPU is seated correctly as well as all other components (RAM, GPU).
-I have tried the one stick of RAM trick (I have also removed both RAM sticks to hear for beeps on power up; nothing).
-Flashed the BIOS.
-Cleared the CMOS (also removed battery after clearing CMOS was unsuccessful).

Things to note
-CPU 8 pin plug is connected (plugged in).
-My DVI cable is plugged into the GPU, I have also tried it in the iGPU but to no avail.
-The CPU pins are not bent.
-I haven't tried the CPU in a different system, I'm going to ask my friend with a similar build if I can try the CPU in his PC (hopefully that diagnoses the problem).
-As far as I'm aware my PSU should be powerful enough for the build, but I could be totally wrong.
-I'm currently writing this from my PC with the i7-4770 back in. Everything is booting up fine and working as normal. Hopefully that eliminates the monitor, MOBO, GPU and RAM from being the issue.
-When I boot the machine with the i7-4770 in, I hear a single beep and the DRAM LED within the machine also powers on red. None of this happens when I attempt to make it to POST with the i7-4790k installed.

If you've made it this far thanks very much for having a read. Any suggestions are more than welcome. It's currently 12:35 am so I'm going to sleep on it and see if I can research anything else I haven't tried tomorrow.

P.S If the solution is something simple, or even worse something I have previously tried (badly in that case) then you have my sincerest apologies:lol:!

Solution
So, to update the BIOS on a Z87, you need:

a) a working PC with an Intel Processor of the old batch (eg. I5-4430)
b) download and install the Intel MEI (Management Engine Interface) from Chipset Tools.
c) download Asus_BIOS.....new_4th_Gen... etc. tool
d) download the last BIOS release (2103)
e) Flash the BIOS with the ASUS Tool and not from UEFI
f) Install the new Processor (I7-4790K in my case)

At the post, the BIOS is now "2103 64" and not 2103.

This is what I found. Not sure why bios versions are different, but wondering if since you are using 1107 that's a bios that only updates the z87m boards for Haswell and not the refresh, which would explain why the 2103 version works for a 4770 and not a 4790k...

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Thanks for replying! The i7-4770 is working fine, its the i7-4790k that I'm having issues with.

Image of BIOS version bellow.
https://gyazo.com/62f69219aa5a9b57f5be47195b3fc57b
Also I have the 1107 BIOS version installed just now, I tried to boot the machine with the 4790k in (on BIOS version 1107) but got nothing :/.

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

As far as I am aware there is no physical store after snooping around of their website. Any other suggestions? I think i'll take it to my friends house and see if he'll put it in his machine and see what happens.

try this. turn the CPU boost off on your motherboard.
w3NeULQ.png

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Thanks for the unique idea. To clarify; I should install the 4790k, and then proceed to turn the GPU boost switch ON or OFF?

UPDATE: Gave this a shot, nothing. I also had a look at the CPU pins like you mentioned, everything looks good.

also I dug up older information related to this problem.

maybe this will make sense to you...
'' The BIOS needed an update before my i7-4790k would post, and out of three ways to update the bios, the CPU only worked after using the Windows utility method. The built-in & DOS utilities appeared to work... BIOS would flash and machine would post with an i3 CPU, but the i7-4790k only worked after using the windows utility (available for download from ASUS).

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Whoops... thanks for pointing that out. Before I purchased the 1070 and the 4790k I used a wattage calculator
( http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ ) to determine whether my PSU was powerful enough. The calculator said that with the GTX 1070 AND the i7-4790k as well as the components my PC has now I would only be using around 380W of power; my PSU delivers 450W so I assumed I had more than enough. I assume that the figure the calculator produced is incorrect though from what you've pointed out.

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

This seems useful. I'll give this a shot after I've tried your proposed solution regarding the GPU. Cheers.

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

I gave that a shot... nothing. Although when I re-installed the 4770 and the GPU and powered on the machine, I left the DVI cable connected to the board video card and the screen was still black until i switched it back to the GPU. Perhaps theres also an issue with the MOBO video card?

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Can you link where you got this information? Seems like you could be on to something.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu doesn't matter at this point in time, the wattage recommendation is for a cpu/gpu under max load, not minimum loads like boot. No reason to change, yet. There will be once you get it going.

Loading up the new bios, I'm assuming you used the old cpu. Which is now loaded into CMOS as a working system. Then you swap out the cpu and, nothing happens. Have you tried clearing the cmos with the new cpu installed? That'll force the bios to do a complete hardware search of every component, including the cpu.

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Thanks for the reply! In all honesty I'm not entirely sure, good thinking though. Ill give that a try.
Also, would you recommend I remove the battery as well as creating the bridge with the new CPU installed or just create the bridge with it installed?

jude_mcgowan

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Gave that a shot, unfortunately same result. Powers on but fails to POST.