Installed new gpu and cpu temp starts going crazy

ScreamingCabbage

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Recently I got a Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce gpu after my old card gave out on me but ever since I've installed it, my cpu (I have an Intel i7 950 Quad-Core 3.07 GHz cpu) has been giving me crazy readings from 80-90+ degrees celsius but my gpu stayed under 60 at almost all times playing some games and the cpu is at 50-60 degrees celsius on average but sometimes 70 when idle . I was wondering is it because i've bottlenecked the system or is it because of the poor heating as I currently am using the stock intel heater on my cpu but i'm thinking about getting the Noctua NH-U14S fan as the situation stands. I'll probably be moving the hard drive to the top cage and remove the bottom HDD cage for better airflow seeing as the gpu extends quite far. What do you guys think? My cpu is a good bit old but the gpu shouldn't be the the direct cause is it? Here's a picture of my setup http://imgur.com/gallery/kYYroM5/new

Hard to tell in your picture, but is the CPU fan clogged w/ dust? I can't tell if it's dust, just the fan spinning, or a combination of both. With that said, your new videocard isn't the standard blower style cooler, so it's not exhausting heat out the back of your case as most stock cooler reference designs would. The heat is being dumped into the rest of your case. Do you have any other exhaust fans other than the single one behind the cpu cooler? If not, it could be that the GPU heat is just circulating around the inside of your cause due to poor airflow.

ScreamingCabbage

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

The cpu is quite dusty to an extent and the fan is spinning. And there is a 140 x 25mm fan at the top of the case spinning. What am I to do in this case? Should I do what I said and get a new cpu fan and remove the cage? Also is bottlenecking not a suspect of this then?

Since the CPU cooler is indeed a bit dirty, I'd try the cheapest route first to see if that helps. The standard $5 to $7 can of "compressed air" should work fine. Just some quick blasts to get rid of most of the dust buildup. Probably want to spray around the other fans in your case as well, especially the caps, ect. around the CPU socket as well.

ScreamingCabbage

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
I'll see if that works but I'm unsure if I have and cans of compressed air in my house at the moment. I'll have to drop buy the store and see if I can grab a can tomorrow. I'll post if there's any noticeable results and thanks for the help so far!

TRENDING THREADS