Question Installed new gpu and shows black screen

Jul 29, 2021
Hello first time doing this but basically I installed a new gpu and I’m going threw a problem that’s supposedly called a “black screen “. I’ve already installed drivers to it and still having the same problem . I’ve also disconnected my hard drive to see if that was the problem but im still having the same issue.

I then removed my new gpu and put back my old gpu. I no longer have the black screen issue but now my old gpu makes a loud fan noise and it shows no signal on my monitor as soon as my computer boots.

need help thank you .

Hello first time doing this but basically I installed a new gpu and I’m going threw a problem that’s supposedly called a “black screen “. I’ve already installed drivers to it and still having the same problem . I’ve also disconnected my hard drive to see if that was the problem but im still having the same issue.

I then removed my new gpu and put back my old gpu. I no longer have the black screen issue but now my old gpu makes a loud fan noise and it shows no signal on my monitor as soon as my computer boots.

need help thank you .

Need full system specs including power supply brand and model. Is this a new video card or used? If used was it confirmed working?

Reactions: Natedog_741
Jul 29, 2021
make sure your hdmi is NOT plugged into both your gpu and PC case (so you don't use your cpu's graphics. if unplugging it from your pc case doesn't work try restarting the pc if that doesn't work try reinstalling the video card as it may not be pushed down enough a way to check this is if the gpu is wobbly give it a push down and when you hear a click and is tight you know
you have installed it properly if you also want to make sure you installed it correctly make sure to leave your case open and power on the machine to see if the gpu fans start spinning if not maybe you didn't install it correctly

Reactions: Natedog_741
Jul 29, 2021
Full specs are

old gpu :GeForce gtx 950
New gpu : GeForce gtx 1050 ti 4gt lp
Motherboard :asrock x79 extreme 6
Atx-sn 900 w power supply
CPU:I7 -3820 cpu 3.60ghz
Ram:Corsair vengeance pro series 3 8gb 2400mhz
Ssd: Intel ssd 530 series 240 gb
Forgot hard drive spec
This “new “gpu is a year old from the day i unbox it from it being new . just left it in a basement the entire time .

So system is a bit older, but should work with a newer video card. Reset the BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery with system unplugged, then hold in the power button for about 15 seconds. Plug it back in, plug in the old video card. If it starts up, check for the latest BIOS for the motherboard, install that, then check if the new card works.

You said you already installed the drivers, did you do that before you connected the new video card?

Jul 29, 2021
Need full system specs including power supply brand and model. Is this a new video card or used? If used was it confirmed working?
I installed my “new” gpu and Installed the drivers for it. but after I shut down and go on it later it shows a black screen. But yeah I installed drivers to the new video card after connecting it to the motherboard. Im going to try to reset bios, check for the latest bios and see if I can download it , and I will test if my new video card works. I’ll let you know with results in a bit thank you.

Jul 29, 2021
So system is a bit older, but should work with a newer video card. Reset the BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery with system unplugged, then hold in the power button for about 15 seconds. Plug it back in, plug in the old video card. If it starts up, check for the latest BIOS for the motherboard, install that, then check if the new card works.

You said you already installed the drivers, did you do that before you connected the new video card?
Yeah it still shows black screen

I installed my “new” gpu and Installed the drivers for it. but after I shut down and go on it later it shows a black screen. But yeah I installed drivers to the new video card after connecting it to the motherboard. Im going to try to reset bios, check for the latest bios and see if I can download it , and I will test if my new video card works. I’ll let you know with results in a bit thank you.

So it did work when you first installed it? You don't have both video cards in there do you? All cables are plugged in properly? Even old card not working now? Sometimes the older motherboards need to be reset to work, I had one about same age as yours that would fail to detect a video card every so often and I needed to do a BIOS reset and re-seat the power cables to it.

Jul 29, 2021
So it did work when you first installed it? You don't have both video cards in there do you? All cables are plugged in properly? Even old card not working now? Sometimes the older motherboards need to be reset to work, I had one about same age as yours that would fail to detect a video card every so often and I needed to do a BIOS reset and re-seat the power cables to it.
I’m dealing with another situation but thanks for the help