[SOLVED] Installed new GPU, now 4 short beeps at boot

Jan 7, 2021
I own an Asus Prime X370-Pro and just purchased an Evga nvidia RTX 3070. Installation was easy and no hiccups. Powered it on and it boots to windows just fine, except for the 4 short beeps. I was able to install the GPUs drivers and i get a display that looks fine. I have not tested out any games. mainly just dont want to cause any damage. Temps are good, fans run ect. It seems like the GPU is fine. So the next thing I do is remove it and put back the original GPU. When this is done, boot is fine and no errors beeps.

From what i read online 4 beeps means the motherboard timer is not working right. Im not really sure that that means. The google search i did says this is a ram or expansion slots malfunction?

What do you guys think my next step should be?

Jan 7, 2021
Just trying to rule things out. I would clear the CMOS though and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller, must be run in safemode) to remove all the old AMD Radeon drivers from the system.

okay. I pulled the 2 ram sticks and reseated them. I also tried just having each ram stick by itself, in the DIMM A2 slot that the motherboard manual reccomends, when only a single stick is inserted. I installed new bios used DDU for the amd drivers in safemode. And lastly tried clearing CMOS. All troubleshooting up to this point has not stopped the beeps.

EDIT: I should mention the number of beeps might be misleading? I alwasy assumed that the first quite beep wasn't related to the POST error beeps. Ive always had a very quite short beep when my system turns on, before this issue began.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021
You're likely one of the many users that needs to disable CSM(Compatibility Support Mode) in bios. These new cards prefer Windows UEFI mode.

This getting a bit over my head now. Do you know of any guides to do this or is it just fine to leave it with the error beeps until Asus updates the bios?

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Are you sure it's not one long beep followed by 4 short beeps or 1 long, 3 short?
Asus's faq says:

4. "One long and three short beeps" from speaker
An anomaly is detected in the graphic card. If the graphic card needs an extra power supply, please ensure the power supply can provide enough wattage.

5. "One long and four short beeps" from speaker
An anomaly is detected on CPU Fan Error or CPU Over Temperature Error or CPU Over Voltage Error
Please ensure your CPU and CPU Fan is installed correctly. If it still fails, please enter BIOS to load default BIOS or clear CMOS to try again

Based on that it sounds like you need a higher wattage power supply or don't have both the 8 pin pci-e power cables connected.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This getting a bit over my head now. Do you know of any guides to do this or is it just fine to leave it with the error beeps until Asus updates the bios?
Asus probably won't fix it, because there's nothing TO fix. Blame Nvidia/Microsoft. The beeps don't break anything - they're just annoying.
There was a thread on this already that got to 2 pages long: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/3080-beeping-noise-on-start-up.3646862/

CSM is not hard to find.
Just go into the boot menu of the bios, and it should be there.

Jan 7, 2021
Asus probably won't fix it, because there's nothing TO fix. Blame Nvidia/Microsoft. The beeps don't break anything - they're just annoying.
There was a thread on this already that got to 2 pages long: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/3080-beeping-noise-on-start-up.3646862/

CSM is not hard to find.
Just go into the boot menu of the bios, and it should be there.

yeah I tired it but then the motherboard couldn't find boot devices. Im not sure how to go about getting windows UEFI is my issue. but ill start moving through this thread. thanks for the link

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Solution