Question Installed new GPU now PC freezes / shuts down randomly

mr snugglebottom

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
My old GPU (titan black) died the other day so i bought a new one, a 2080ti. Now this is my issue: since i installed the new GPU my PC has been randomly freezing and forcing me to force shutdown. What can be the cause of this issue? I installed clean drivers and i didnt have any issues in the begging after installing it, i could even play games and stress test the system without failure. Now today i have been having said random freezes after logging into windows, these freezes happen 5-10 minutes after i logged in.

PC specs:
win10 pro 64-bit
intel i7 4770k
16 GB dual channel DDR3
RTX 2080ti
Ausus essence STX II
mobo: Z87X-UD5 TH-CF
corsair cx750 (750w)

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings.

Especially any entries that log just before or at the time of the freezes.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First with just Windows running and then later while working as normal or playing games.

mr snugglebottom

Prominent
Apr 26, 2019
did you fix it same problem here :(

Ok, so what happened was my GPU failed, it burned out somehow when i was away from my PC for a second. Later that same day i went to the electronics store and bought a 2080ti because it was about time for an upgrade anyways. I got home installed the 2080 ti installed fresh drivers through Nvidia geforce experience then i started playing. It worked for the rest of the day and i enjoyed stress testing it etc.

When i got home next morning i turned my PC on and i was getting freezes and hard crashes after starting windows, it was only lasting like 5-10 minutes before crashing. I had no idea what it could possibly be so i went onto here and to a subreddit to ask for some help. I asked on the reddit and i didnt really get anything out of anyone and i was thinking about reinstalling windows when my PSU failed, one day after my GPU failed my 750w PSU fails. I get to borrow a 650w PSU from my brother and i try to get going again, same issues hard-crashes randomly.

At this point i was kinda fed up and since i had already bought a new GPU and i was needing a new PSU i decided to upgrade the whole remaining PC. Ended up getting a 9900k + 850w PSU and a new motherboard, fresh install of windows and now it works like a charm. I have a feeling its was either because my PSU was just not sufficient (witch i kinda doubt) or some software issue in windows or the bios or something. If i were you id try a fresh install of windows and maybe update motherboard. Sorry if i was not of any help.

Good luck!

Jun 12, 2019
Ok, so what happened was my GPU failed, it burned out somehow when i was away from my PC for a second. Later that same day i went to the electronics store and bought a 2080ti because it was about time for an upgrade anyways. I got home installed the 2080 ti installed fresh drivers through Nvidia geforce experience then i started playing. It worked for the rest of the day and i enjoyed stress testing it etc.

When i got home next morning i turned my PC on and i was getting freezes and hard crashes after starting windows, it was only lasting like 5-10 minutes before crashing. I had no idea what it could possibly be so i went onto here and to a subreddit to ask for some help. I asked on the reddit and i didnt really get anything out of anyone and i was thinking about reinstalling windows when my PSU failed, one day after my GPU failed my 750w PSU fails. I get to borrow a 650w PSU from my brother and i try to get going again, same issues hard-crashes randomly.

At this point i was kinda fed up and since i had already bought a new GPU and i was needing a new PSU i decided to upgrade the whole remaining PC. Ended up getting a 9900k + 850w PSU and a new motherboard, fresh install of windows and now it works like a charm. I have a feeling its was either because my PSU was just not sufficient (witch i kinda doubt) or some software issue in windows or the bios or something. If i were you id try a fresh install of windows and maybe update motherboard. Sorry if i was not of any help.

Good luck!
Can my problem fix just reinstall the os?