[SOLVED] Installed new GPU + PSU, computer doesnt work anymore, stuck on Dell logo

Oct 13, 2021
PC: Dell XPS 8700
New GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600
New PSU: PowerSpec 500W Switching power supply
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 16 GB

Just bought a the GPU and PSU today, installed both of them onto my PC. When I turn the PC on, the fan in the power supply and my motherboard start spinning. GPU fan also spins. However, then my monitor only shows the Dell logo. I tried pressing F12, F8, and F2 separately but nothing happens.

And the monitor doesn't display anything when I have my HDMI plugged into the GPU, it only displays the stuck Dell screen when I have the HDMI plugged into my computer's non-GPU HDMI port.

Any help will be SUPER appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

BIOS: F2

FYI:

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...32a924-49e9-4080-961d-2afbdaf42039&lang=en-us

From the link above:

"NOTE: The F2 prompt indicates that the keyboard is initialized. This prompt can appear very quickly, so you must watch for it, and then press F2. If you press F2 before the F2 prompt, this keystroke is lost. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the desktop. Then, turn off your computer and try again. "

= = = =

Will the system boot into Safe Mode?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

BIOS: F2

FYI:

https://www.dell.com/support/manual...32a924-49e9-4080-961d-2afbdaf42039&lang=en-us

From the link above:

"NOTE: The F2 prompt indicates that the keyboard is initialized. This prompt can appear very quickly, so you must watch for it, and then press F2. If you press F2 before the F2 prompt, this keystroke is lost. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the desktop. Then, turn off your computer and try again. "

= = = =

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Original GPU, original PSU?

Did you mix and match any cables between the old PSU and the new PSU?

Double check that all cards and cables are indeed fully and firmly seated into place.

Solution
Oct 13, 2021
Update: I did a bit of testing and my computer does boot up fine with the new PSU and the old GPU, but not with new PSU and new GPU.

Okay, I'll read this in detail and see how it goes.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Original GPU, original PSU?

Did you mix and match any cables between the old PSU and the new PSU?

Double check that all cards and cables are indeed fully and firmly seated into place.

1. Not when using new GPU+new PSU.
  2. 256 GB SSD, 180 GB used. It's a Micron MTFDDAK256MAY.
  3. Original GPU: Nvidia 745. Original PSU: It's a built-in one for the Dell XPS 8700, I'm not sure what make or model but it has 142 W power.
  4. No, I've removed all cables from the old PSU going into my PC and replaced them with cables from the new PSU.
  5. Yes. PC works well with new PSU+old GPU, doesn't work with new PSU + new GPU.

And I'm not getting an F2 prompt. It simply displays the Dell logo and then nothing happens.