Question Installed new GPU/Ram, week later computer keeps freezing/crashing.

Feb 26, 2019
Alright so I updated my GPU and Ram about a week ago. My computer was running fine until the last two days. While playing Apex Legends I would start freezing mid game and the the game would crash and I would have to start the game up again. After researching I determined it was a game issue not a hardware issue. However, today, I had a crash that shut down my whole computer and displayed the blue “PC crashed” screen. My computer started back up fine and I was able to play again for about another hour. Then it happened again. This time I was not able to start my computer back up. My OS would start and it would freeze while it was starting the “Automatic Windows Repair” screen. Ever since then I cannot get my computer to boot the OS. And when I’m able to it will freeze a few minutes after logging in. Not sure what the issue is so any info would be great.

SPECS
B150m mortar motherboard
I5@2.7ghz-6400 CPU
XFX Radeon RX Vega 56 GPU
Trident 2x8 GB 3000mhz RAM
256gb SSD
1 TB HD
Windows 10 Home (installed on SSD)
750W EVGA PSU

Are you sure that the CPU/GPU aren't overheating and their fans are spinning? Open the case and check them. If this isn't an overheating issue then it's probably one of the those:

1)SSD
2)RAM
3)PSU
4)GPU

You have to check/test everyone one of them but in order to do so, you need a 2nd PC. You should test the SSD for errors and its smart status in another system. You can test the RAM on your machine with memtest, but you need a 2nd PC for creating the bootable USB flash drive. Additionally try to remove the graphics card from the motherboard and use the integrated iGPU for graphics. If your system boots normally in this config, then the GPU or the PSU are responsible. Finally you have to test another PSU with your system.

Having said all that your hardware may be OK since the initial crash could have corrupted the SSD or the OS, in which case you have to secure erase the SSD and re-install the OS. Good luck.

Feb 26, 2019
Yes, my problem was with my RAM. Unfortunately I bought a bad ram stick. The crashing corrupted my SSD so I had to wipe it and do a fresh install of the OS. No issues since.