[SOLVED] Installed New graphics card and Computer won't boot into Windows

Feb 6, 2021
Hello,

I am trying to replace my NVIDIA GTX 580 with a GTX 1660 Super and the computer will only boot to display the gigabyte motherboard startup screen where it lists options to enter BIOS (f8/Del), or display system information (F9) and then the monitor enters power saving mode. The computer is unresponsive to my keyboard or mouse inputs; Pressing f8, Del, or F9 will not let me enter Bios, the computer is completely unresponsive although it displays this screen for a couple minutes before the monitor goes to sleep (I cannot prevent this as my mouse and keyboard inputs don't work).

The fans are operating on the 1660S, and my power supply is 850 W, which is beyond sufficient for this new card. I currently have connected my old 580 and everything is working fine, but any advice trying to get the new card working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Durps

Solution
CPU: i5-3570K @3.40 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Ram: 16 GB
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850Bronze

I think this is all the major components. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide,
Your problems probably lay on bios. Are you using uefi or legacy bios
Hello,

I am trying to replace my NVIDIA GTX 580 with a GTX 1660 Super and the computer will only boot to display the gigabyte motherboard startup screen where it lists options to enter BIOS (f8/Del), or display system information (F9) and then the monitor enters power saving mode. The computer is unresponsive to my keyboard or mouse inputs; Pressing f8, Del, or F9 will not let me enter Bios, the computer is completely unresponsive although it displays this screen for a couple minutes before the monitor goes to sleep (I cannot prevent this as my mouse and keyboard inputs don't work).

The fans are operating on the 1660S, and my power supply is 850 W, which is beyond sufficient for this new card. I currently have connected my old 580 and everything is working fine, but any advice trying to get the new card working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Durps
Full system spes imcluding model of the psu

Feb 6, 2021
CPU: i5-3570K @3.40 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Ram: 16 GB
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850Bronze

I think this is all the major components. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide,

Feb 6, 2021
Hmm....and what about your power supply?
Do you connected your GPU power PCIe connector properly?
By the way, check, maybe you have some kind of "boot protection", or "system integrity protection" options enabled in your PC BiOS settings.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've connected it properly. I've disconnected it and connected it multiple times just to check. When I first installed the GTX 580 all I did was connect the PCIe slot and the power cables, and im pretty sure I've connected the 1660 in a similar manner although the 1660 has one 6 connector, where as the 580 has two 8 pin connectors.

I've looked through the BIOS settings and I do not see any options for "boot protection" or "system integrity protection" options, so I am assuming I do not have those options.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey man I'm having a similar sort of issue upgrading from a 570 to 970. Except I can get into windows and I get freezing plus post beeps, did you end up resolving your issue?

The legacy bios suggestion got me thinking.

Feb 6, 2021
Just google it in order for the newer cards to run in windows they require legacy boot
I've done some googling, and it seems that its the reverse. Newer cards require UEFI Bios. My bios version isn't listed under system information in Windows 7, when I enter BIOS it clearly displays the header "GIGABYTE - UEFI DualBIOS"

I have CSM enabled, which as I understand is something that lets legacy BIOS components work with UEFI. Would disabling this fix my issue? I'm hesitant to just try it because I am not sure if it would disable some other hardware in my computer and prevent me from enabling it in the future.

If I enabled CSM, would I also need to do a fresh install of windows or is it just as easy as turning it on? Installing the new graphics card, and if it doesn't work re-enabling CSM to get my old GTX 580 working (I am pretty sure this card requires CSM to function in my UEFI BIos.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
My bios version is F8 for the board listed above and was released in 2012. Would updating the motherboard possibly fix my issue?

Can never go wrong updating the bios, your mobo is old like mine. It might have updates for compatability and stability. Worst case it's something you can cross off for trying.

Just be incredibly careful and make sure you know what your doing when updating, don't wanna ruin your mobo.

Feb 6, 2021
Can never go wrong updating the bios, your mobo is old like mine. It might have updates for compatability and stability. Worst case it's something you can cross off for trying.

Just be incredibly careful and make sure you know what your doing when updating, don't wanna ruin your mobo.
I've never updated my BIOS, But I've heard that if the computer powers shuts off during updating it bricks the motherboard. Is there anything else I should look out for when updating?

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Watch a few videos and google, but basically make sure it doesn't switch off. Make sure power is all good and it's not stormy weather outside aha. You don't want any interruptions.

Feb 6, 2021
Watch a few videos and google, but basically make sure it doesn't switch off. Make sure power is all good and it's not stormy weather outside aha. You don't want any interruptions.
Thanks, there's a heavy snowfall warning for today so ill probably do it once this weather passes. Hopefully this will fix my issue.

Feb 6, 2021
I am trying to update my bios, I've downloaded and stored the most recent non beta bios version, but I am getting the error "incorrect file size" when I try to flash BIOS. It also looks like I do not need to update sequentially either from what I've read on the website. The file downloaded from the manufacturer's website is just a single .exe file, is this the correct file format?

I've downloaded and looked at the filetypes for all the available updates and they are all 3.80 MB and are a .exe file. Except, the beta versions download a zip, which contains three files: 16j, bat, app files

The newest non beta version is F14 which is only 1 year newer than my current edition (F8), but all the more recent versions are all in beta and I'm trying to avoid downloading those.

I've watched a few Youtube videos specifically for gigabyte motherboards and I am pretty sure I am following the steps correctly, but I am not sure about the filetype/size.

I am trying to update my bios, I've downloaded and stored the most recent non beta bios version, but I am getting the error "incorrect file size" when I try to flash BIOS. It also looks like I do not need to update sequentially either from what I've read on the website. The file downloaded from the manufacturer's website is just a single .exe file, is this the correct file format?

I've downloaded and looked at the filetypes for all the available updates and they are all 3.80 MB and are a .exe file. Except, the beta versions download a zip, which contains three files: 16j, bat, app files

The newest non beta version is F14 which is only 1 year newer than my current edition (F8), but all the more recent versions are all in beta and I'm trying to avoid downloading those.

I've watched a few Youtube videos specifically for gigabyte motherboards and I am pretty sure I am following the steps correctly, but I am not sure about the filetype/size.
.Exe means your meant to run it in windows or linux or some os.... If linux it would take some help. But either way..... No it should be a .cap file that you have on you usb the is formated to fat32.

Feb 6, 2021
Yeah that should've been obvious haha. But its updated now, This also fixed my GPU issue. I just finished booting it up with the 1660S and the new GPU is working. But I cannot get Windows 7 to recognize my second monitor. Could be a broken port on the GPU, but I don't have a second HDMI to Display cable, but I will pick one up soon to see if it could be the DVI port.

I doubt the port is broken though, but I don't know what else could be causing this.