Installed new graphics card, and no monitor display

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Hi, I would appreciate if someone would help me resolve this issue.

I bought XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation to finally upgrade gpu from my old Radeon HD 6850, but upon installing the card and powering up the computer, there's nothing showing up on the monitor except for the floating message 'no display' (monitor works fine when I switch back to my old HD 6850).

I tried searching many other forums and read some suggestions like 'disabling the onboard graphics' and 'updating bios', but I don't think either of them apply to me, because my motherboard does not have an onboard graphics (Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3), and my current bios version is from 2012, which is about 2nd or 3rd newest version on their website.

I don't think PSU is the issue either, because apparently lots of people with 600W OR 550W PSU are using this card just fine.

Main thing I can think of is the power cable that's used for connecting GPU to PSU.
As far as I know, this card needs one 6-pin cable and one 8-pin cable to connect it to PSU, but I had to order one because two cables that came with this card were some extension cables that were utterly useless (for another one, I could use 6+2pin I'm currently using with my old gpu).

Since my PSU only supports 6-pin, I had to find a cable that's either both ends are 6-pin, or one 6-pin and one 8-pin, and most importantly, a male-male cable.

After finally finding a male-male cable from Amazon, I bought it and tried it on, but it wouldn't fit into my PSU because the clip thingy that you have to push when plugging out was too big.
After getting tired of all waiting, I just decided to cut off the clip part with scissors to make it fit and go with it. So now I can plug it in to my PSU, but I'm wondering if that cable is not compatible or something. (does it matter which end of the cable I'm plugging it to PSU?)

This is what I bought:
----------
http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-Sleeved-PCI-E-PP06B-PCIE55/dp/B00A45JA52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418430667&sr=8-1&keywords=pcie+power+cable
-----------
I'm drawing blank of what to do, and what's actually causing this.
Could someone also recommend where/what cable to buy? I mainly tried Amazon and Newegg, but I couldn't really find any male-male power cables.

My pc spec is:
CPU: AMD FX-6100 six-core
Mobo: GA-970A-UD3
PSU: Cooler Master 600W 80+ Bronze
RAM: Vengeance 4GB x 2
1 hard drive 1TB 7200RPM
1 cd drive

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Yep, I have no idea what the issue is, other than having some suspicion on the new power cable that I had to buy.
All the cables are plugged in well, and GPU is seated perfectly too.

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
I can't think of anything else since the only difference between installing this new gpu and my old one is a cable. Everything works fine when I switch back to the old one. I tried switching back and forth several times, and the results are always the same.

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Is it a sure thing that my new graphics card is faulty?

To be more specific about the situation, at least the fans of the card spin when I turn on the computer. It's just that the monitor stays black, and I don't hear any beeping sound from the computer.

As for R9 280X (new) and HD 6850 (old), the old one only needs one power cable for 6-pin while the new one needs two - one for 6-pin, and one for 8-pin.

So, I can guarantee that the 6-pin cable I've been using works fine, but not so sure about the 8-pin cable that I bought recently. Wish there was a way to test this cable.

t3naci0ust

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
You should have no problems with that power supply and that card. Are you plugging in the correct cables? Sometimes an 8 pin will look like a cpu connector and won't put out enough wattage to the graphics card.

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

I think so.
This is the link to the 8-pin cable that I bought: here

It's called: Silverstone Tek Sleeved 1x PCI-E 8-Pin (6+2) 550mm Cable.
Right now, blue end (8-pin) is connected to my GPU and black (6-pin) to PSU.

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

If you mean 6-pin cable, yes, it works fine when I use that to run my old GPU.

kipac

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

The cables I'm trying to use with my new graphics card are the 6+2 pin connector that I've been using with my old one, and the new male-male connector that I posted a link in previous replies (Silverstone).

It's been several years since I built my first pc, so I don't remember if that 6+2 pin connector came with my old gpu, or psu.
As for the new connector, there's no way for me to test if it works or not.

Shaheryar Khan

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

Hi,
I am having the exact same issue.i just bought a gigabyte r9 270 to replace hd 6790,,but after i plug in the gpu,,there is no signal on monitor.
I know the pc posts successfully,i can hear the beeps and the fans are moving but no display?