[SOLVED] Installed new motherboard and cpu, now I cannot access my ssd drive.

Oct 22, 2022
Just yesterday I installed a new motherboard and cpu. I have 2 samsung 860 evo 2tb connected together to make 4tb, as well as an m2.ssd with my operating system. Since installing the new motherboard and cpu I have not been able to access the evo D: drive, when I launch computer or when I attempt to look in drive it says

"You need to format the disc in drive D: before you can use it"

followed by

"The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

The hardrive's did not have any operating system on them, as far as I can remember, as I have never used them for os, just file storage. I would really rather prefer not to reformat them if I can - I have already tried in desperation and quick format always gives a "cannot complete" error while long format after 18 hours and no progress I just canceled. I have a feeling I could just reconnect my old mobo and access them to format them, but that seems like a big headache.

I also tried chkdsk and apparently it is not available on a RAW drive - I just hope the drives are not damaged or not restorable.

I would certainly appreciate any help I am offered!

Last edited:
Solution
Delete Intel VDM RST controller from Device Manager. May require reboot after that.

Create a 2TB partition on Disk 0.
Delete and recreate D : partition on Disk 1. Might be necessary to clean Disk 1, if capacity doesn't reset to 2TB.

Can you also show a screenshot from Samsung Magician?

USAFRet

Titan
"I have 2 samsung 860 evo 2tb connected together to make 4tb "
Connected together, how?

New motherboard...did you do a full OS reinstall?
What are the old parts and new parts?

Was there a known good backup of all data before you started this procedure?

Oct 22, 2022
"I have 2 samsung 860 evo 2tb connected together to make 4tb "
Connected together, how?

I am not quite sure how it was done, the computer was a prebuild - all I know was that the two 2tb ssd drives acted as one drive and even after installation of the new board it still read as the D drive in windows. I am sorry, I have a very basic understanding of this stuff!

New motherboard...did you do a full OS reinstall?
What are the old parts and new parts?

I did do a full OS reinstall after booting the pc with the new parts for the first time, thinking it would help not being able to access the D drive. Just the quick windows reinstall through my microsoft account. I had a aorus z390 mobo, and the new mobo is a Rog Strix B660-A Gaming Wifi D4.

I did not do a backup before starting any of this no!

Oct 22, 2022
I am completely okay with the data being gone! Mostly hoping just to get them useable again!

I did not move the drives, or even unplug the sata power, or data connectors from the drives or power source when making the mobo transfer - I only unplugged the sata data plugs from old motherboard then plugged them into the same location on the new board on installation.

I am thinking it was probably most likely done through RAID, considering I plugged everything back exactly, though I have heard of RAID I am not sure how to reinstate it on this mobo. I also have never heard of "Windows storage spaces", and when I click the link it brings me to a page explaining what it is, with a few drop-down menus - I am signed into my microsoft account, should it be showing me something?

USAFRet

Titan
I am completely okay with the data being gone! Mostly hoping just to get them useable again!

I did not move the drives, or even unplug the sata power, or data connectors from the drives or power source when making the mobo transfer - I only unplugged the sata data plugs from old motherboard then plugged them into the same location on the new board on installation.

I am thinking it was probably most likely done through RAID, considering I plugged everything back exactly, though I have heard of RAID I am not sure how to reinstate it on this mobo. I also have never heard of "Windows storage spaces", and when I click the link it brings me to a page explaining what it is, with a few drop-down menus - I am signed into my microsoft account, should it be showing me something?
"I am completely okay with the data being gone! Mostly hoping just to get them useable again!"

This is good.
Very good.

And we will proceed, with the end state of them being two individual 4TB drives, each with its own drive letter.
Probably D and E.

Merging them like that brings few benefits, and lots of problems.

So...

Power off
Connect only ONE of these 860s.
Power up, and go into Disk Management.
Show us a screencap of what it shows.
(Upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here.)

Also when I try to install the intel RST Drivers and app I get this error.
https://i.postimg.cc/L6Y4dkSD/Untitled.png
Wrong setup.
You have to get appropriate version from motherboard manufacturer support site.

Are you sure, Intel RST driver is not installed already?
App icon looks like this:

11371Image1.jpg

Oct 22, 2022
I do Right on the front page with a bold toggle. "Intel rapid storage technology toggle on or off. I have it set to on, but previously it was set to off - I set it on when trying to fix the problem originally.

Edit: Atleast I am pretty sure it was set to off before. Either way I turned it off in curiosity and my pc does not boot into windows when I do that.

Last edited: