Question Installed new motherboard, cpu, CPU cooler, and m.2 psu died

Mar 10, 2023
I installed new parts in my PC but kept the same power supply.
It booted up to bios screen and sat there for about 5 minutes, then I heard a pop/crackling noise, pc shut down.
I then shut off power. After trying to turn back on, the CPU fan would spin for maybe 1-2 seconds but PC would never power on.

I thought maybe the new mobo went bad so I took all new parts out and installed old parts, it will not power on either with old mobo which I know works.

Old parts:
ASRock B250M Motherboard
i7-7700
Gtx 1080

New parts:
Msi B450 Gaming Plus Mobo
R7 5700x
M.2 nvme
Wraith stealth cpu cooler
Same gpu

It was a 6 year old 600w power supply which I thought would still be enough for the new parts, was I wrong? I ordered a EVGA 750 watt psu 80+ Gold. Just wondering if that was enough or my problem lies somewhere else like a short circuit or something.

Is the 750 watt enough to or should I cancel order.

Thanks for reading, waited 2 weeks on new parts, got bios and was happy then it died. Very bummed

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fingers crossed nothing was damaged when the psu went, won't know until you try. What model was the 600w psu?

When buying psus it's wise to look at factory warranty period to determine quality, at least 7 years. Stay sway from 3~5 year models. 7yr is good, 10yr even better quality.

Check case standoffs are in the correct position. Never reuse modular psu cables so your new psu means any older modular cables (if any from old psu) must be replaced, that goes for sata and pcie as well. Pinout diagram don't follow a standard across brands and sometimes models so pinouts can and do vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaim DSS
Mar 10, 2023
Fingers crossed nothing was damaged when the psu went, won't know until you try. What model was the 600w psu?

When buying psus it's wise to look at factory warranty period to determine quality, at least 7 years. Stay sway from 3~5 year models. 7yr is good, 10yr even better quality.

Check case standoffs are in the correct position. Never reuse modular psu cables so your new psu means any older modular cables (if any from old psu) must be replaced, that goes for sata and pcie as well. Pinout diagram don't follow a standard across brands and sometimes models so pinouts can and do vary.

I believe standoffs we're the issue. Mobo was making contact with case. I took everything out of the case and tested on table, both motherboards powered on. Just hoping no parts were damaged. The PSU is a High Power 600w model HPG-600ST-F12S. The old mobo took a few stand offs with it and I really didn't notice. This PC was originally a prebuilt. They went cheap on a few parts so I will probably get a new PSU sometime this year, this one as held up well though, thought she finally died haha. It's running well so far, don't believe anything is damaged

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could be very lucky it seems. A friend of mine years ago installed a motherboard without standoffs and that killed the board immediately once powered lol, as you'd expect. Was old old parts but still, a brilliant brain fart moment.

It's running well so far, don't believe anything is damaged

Not sure what this means though. So new board is running with same psu?

Mar 10, 2023
Could be very lucky it seems. A friend of mine years ago installed a motherboard without standoffs and that killed the board immediately once powered lol, as you'd expect. Was old old parts but still, a brilliant brain fart moment.

Not sure what this means though. So new board is running with same psu?

Yeah new one running on same psu. It seems all good running fresh install of windows. Only time will tell after I update everything and run a game it may give blue screen or something. Fingers crossed its all set though

Reactions: boju

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, this PSU needed to be replaced a long time ago. It seems like it was a complete afterthought, an ancient, very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU that should never have been used with a GTX 1080. You've been rolling the dice for a long time, but counting on lucky dice is never a good long-term strategy.

EVGA's lineup of even Gold-rated PSUs is no longer as impressive as it was six or seven years ago -- the GQ and GD in particular are quite disappointing -- but they'd be worlds ahead of the junk you're currently gambling with.

Mar 10, 2023
Yeah, this PSU needed to be replaced a long time ago. It seems like it was a complete afterthought, an ancient, very cheaply made, group-regulated PSU that should never have been used with a GTX 1080. You've been rolling the dice for a long time, but counting on lucky dice is never a good long-term strategy.

EVGA's lineup of even Gold-rated PSUs is no longer as impressive as it was six or seven years ago -- the GQ and GD in particular are quite disappointing -- but they'd be worlds ahead of the junk you're currently gambling with.
Surprisingly it's held up well, our electric drops a lot, house has bad wiring and it's kept pc safe from electrical surges. Definitely on my number 1 spot for next upgrade, canceled the order for the EVGA for now and gonna look at a few more options before I make final purchase on one

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Surprisingly it's held up well, our electric drops a lot, house has bad wiring and it's kept pc safe from electrical surges. Definitely on my number 1 spot for next upgrade, canceled the order for the EVGA for now and gonna look at a few more options before I make final purchase on one

But please make it a fairly urgent matter, not something to upgrade someday. You are gambling here, and it's very possible that the GTX 1080s eventual lifespan is now less than it would be otherwise. And now that you're using other hardware that more aggressively uses its power and that costs a lot more to replace, you've basically doubled your bet at the roulette wheel.

Reactions: Jaim DSS