[SOLVED] Installed new motherboard pc wont boot

Aug 5, 2020
My mobo died a couple months ago (asus m5a97 r2.0) and today I installed a new one (asus m5a78l-m/usb3), when I try starting it up I can get into the bios settings but when I try to boot from my Windows 10 ssd I get stuck on a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left.
Do I have to install windows 10 drivers onto a usb and install it from there or should I be able to boot into windows 10 simply by plugging my mobo into my pc?
Any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks

Solution
when you are changing motherboards the copy of windows is not guaranteed to boot or if it does boot successfully it may have a lot of error's popup.

so yes, when changing a motherboard it is recommended to perform a clean install of windows. make sure you have a Microsoft account linked to your old windows install and it is fully updated. if not you may not be able to reactivate windows because a motherboard is considered a major hardware change
when you are changing motherboards the copy of windows is not guaranteed to boot or if it does boot successfully it may have a lot of error's popup.

so yes, when changing a motherboard it is recommended to perform a clean install of windows. make sure you have a Microsoft account linked to your old windows install and it is fully updated. if not you may not be able to reactivate windows because a motherboard is considered a major hardware change

Reactions: CK-98
Solution