Question Installed new PSU and GPU and cannot get monitor to display or get any signal.

Jul 27, 2020
Hello,

First and formost I'm not technically inept when it comes to computers, however some of the vernacular does escape me. If you could reference teh motherboard ports in relation to what they are labeled as or their location or indicate cables by pin count and if theres a dead socket (blank/no pin) where that is that would be most helpful if applicable.

Last night while playing Borderlands 3, my computer executed a hard kill/shut off. When attempting to turn back on after removing power supply it would turn on for a brief second and then hard kill again. Upon review it was determined to either have a faulty power supply or faulty GPU. Given the age of the computer and the need to update anyway I was committed to both an upgrade from a 600w PSU and my GTX 960 4gb graphics card.

I will note however that upon removal of power supply to the graphics card the computer booted up. However the bios/motherboard battery had not been removed to default to on board graphics.

Today I purchased a 700W PSU and installed a number of expansions - additional SSD's and GPU Geforce 1660 Ti MSI 6gb

After installing the GPU and connecting all the power cables to my knowledge thier proper places the computer turns on, stays on, however my monitor is not receiving a signal from either the on board exports from the rear panel of the motherboard nor the GPU

It should also be noted that the PSU was swapped first and the old GPU left installed to rule out a faulty power supply. The computer attempted to start but after the breif 1 second initiated the hard kill again. After installing the new GPU and PSU the computer starts no problem with power light indicators also coming from the GPU which indicate standard operation.

What else could cause no signal to be sent to two separate monitors? They were previously being hooked up via a VGA to DVI conversion for one monitor and a HDMI for the other. The new GPU only supports one HDMI and 3 displayports ( Monitors are not compatible with direct displayport without converter)

Things I've tried:
Removing the battery in the motherboard to default to onboard graphics - Nope
Removing the battery and removing the GPU - Nope

Monitors work fine receiving signal from other devices on both output/inputs HDMI and others (PS4)
I did notice that my keyboard is no longer registering power via color turn on on keys in either front or back USB's, but my wireless headset will charge in either.

Did I somehow lose all drivers???
Does it matter what power cable my boot drive is connected to? New PSU came with two of these separate and I split them for cord management to have my other SDDS on the rear side of chassis?
Help please.

Motherboard: Asus z170 Pro Gaming
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660 Ti 6gb MSI
RAM: 16GB 8x2 - swapped slots
CPU: i5 6600k
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700w
Monitor: 2 AOC 12757h 27" Monitors

Thank you

Jul 27, 2020
Update: I tried removing the RAM after the fact (Something I hadn't done before) It initially started up then after 5 seconds shut off and restarted and the power button on the case seemed to cycle Boot screens.

Replugging in my keyboard and mouse it is now recognized by the ports and I do have a display via the HDMI port. Windows is currently updating however my next question is now on the motherboard the display lights "CPU_LED" and "VGA_LED" located directly next to the RAM slots on the motherboard are blinking intermittenly on boot, and is not something I recognized before. Is there a cause for concern here?

It did make me boot via bios and set up a configuration prior to installing windows updates. We will see after they are done if everything is resolved, just concerned about the blinking lights next to RAM slots

It should also be noted the display is coming from the GPU via HDMI and not the motherboard. So all in all a RAM removal after seemed to have resolved? Still unsure why that would be the case if the motherboard battery was removed.