[SOLVED] Installed New RAM and PC does not start

Mar 9, 2021
Apologies if this is in the wrong section. Please direct me if it is. First time poster in a bit of a panic. I used crucial to find a ram upgrade for my computer. Asus z270 motherboard. I installed the new ram and just got a solid orange light on the motherboard. So I went back and out in the old ram in the exact same slots. Same solid orange light.
Anyone have any idea what I did and how to fix it? I would love to use my new ram but at this point would settle with not having broken my desktop.

Solution
Put old ram back in, update bios. This will give you an updated bios and reset everything to defaults.

Look up your motherboard manual and ensure you are using the correct slots (unless they are all full with identical DIMMs). When partially filling the DIMM slots you need to get them in the correct slot or it's not going to be happy.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Put old ram back in, update bios. This will give you an updated bios and reset everything to defaults.

Look up your motherboard manual and ensure you are using the correct slots (unless they are all full with identical DIMMs). When partially filling the DIMM slots you need to get them in the correct slot or it's not going to be happy.

Solution
Anyone have any idea what I did and how to fix it? I would love to use my new ram but at this point would settle with not having broken my desktop.
You may have killed your ram.
Rare but possible, if ram was not properly inserted into ram slots or ram was handled improperly and damaged by ESD.

BTW - what make/model ram were you trying to use? May be it was server ram and incompatible with your board.