[SOLVED] Installed new RAM, Bios black screen, XMP not working

Apr 29, 2021
Hi guys

I recently bought two extra ram sticks (the exact same as the original 2 sticks in my computer) for my new computer that I built in February.
However, I am having trouble installing them and getting my computer to work properly.

When I first installed them, my bios told me to review my settings, which I did without changing anything.
My Computer booted, and I checked task manager to confirm the memory amount (32gb) and to confirm my suspicion that my ram speed had been corrected to the default 2133Mhz. When I went back into BIOS to correct this, after booting I was met with just the black screen.

Browsing various threads I tried a couple things:
  • Reset CMOS by shorting the battery, then rebooting (success) with reset settings, tried enabling XMP again, same issue
  • Reset again, rebooted with reset settings, tried enabling XMP and manually increasing DRAM voltage from Auto to 1.35V, same issue
Not really sure where to go from here so any help would be greatly appreciated

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Motherboard: MSI B550A-Pro
Original RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3600MHz DDR4
New RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3600Mhz DDR4

Solution
Not really sure where to go from here so any help would be greatly appreciated
With 4 modules it might not be able to reach 3600mhz anymore.
Try lower frequency settings.
2400mhz, 2666mhz, 2933mhz, 3000mhz, 3200mhz, 3400mhz.

Make sure Command Rate is set to 2T.
With 4 modules it will not work at 1T command rate.
Apr 29, 2021
With 4 modules it might not be able to reach 3600mhz anymore.
Try lower frequency settings.
2400mhz, 2666mhz, 2933mhz, 3000mhz, 3200mhz, 3400mhz.

Damn was sort of hoping this wouldnt be the case, although i dont know how much difference the ram speed makes to performance, I'll try it out

do the 3600 manually, timing, voltage, etc. might have to up the voltage abit

same set yes. but not it 1 kit. not tested together

That makes sense, thanks

will post back when I've tried a few settings

Apr 29, 2021
Hi guys, unfortunately not a very happy ending. Tried a couple voltage / frequency settings with command rate set to 2T to no avail, then tried using the AMD Dram calculator for most options between 2666Mhz - 3400Mhz, inputting all of the calculated timings/voltages and still no luck.

I figure I don't really need the 32gb RAM; the ability to keep a couple extra tabs of my browser open while playing a game isn't totally worth the cost of money/time to get this working to me now, and I can't really see me needing it for anything else so I'm gonna return the sticks, but I have learnt a reasonable amount regarding RAM I didn't know before, so cheers for pointing me in directions I could learn from.

Apr 27, 2021
Does the new stick of ram work by itself if you put it in the correct spot for a single stick?

If not return it.

I always run matching pairs, some hardware does not like mismatched pairs.