Installed new Ram, computer won't turn on now

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeth33

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I installed two new ram sticks into my computer, and now it won't turn on. I tried to enter the BIOS and see if it just wasn't reading the ram right or something, but literally nothing in the computer is not activating it seems. The fans aren't spinning, a signal isn't being sent to the monitor, all it seems is being activated is the hard drive, so I am perplexed.

Any help would be welcomed, thank you.

Solution
Yeah I would just verify you are only using the new ram, not mixing it with the old. give it a little extra push to make sure its in place :)

keeth33

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I took out the new RAM sticks, and the problem is still persisting.

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
You did this all with power off and unplugged right? Are they seated all the way down? Do you have a little memory test button you can test it with? If the old sticks dont work too, and are propleryl seated, I would try to clear the CMOS to be safe, should have a spot on the board to do that.

silverz

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Have you swapped ram in the past? If not, you may be surprised at how much pressure you sometimes need to use to properly seat it.

Also, check you didn't accidentally pull a wire out somewhere when you were inside the case.

keeth33

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Sorry for the delay.
The motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128718&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

the RAM (new): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

As for the old ram, it is very old ram from a machine long lost to time, so I can't find out what it is for sure.

As for lights on the case that turn on, the power button and the light indicating that the harddrive is in use light up, and that is it. The LEDS in the case do not turn on, the case and cpu fans don't spin, nothing else. Thank you for your extended help!

If it won't work wit the old ones, it could be several things: your mobo could be toast (unlikely), your PSU is toast (more likely), your CMOS isn't right (maybe), or you have a bad connection somewhere and the board isn't getting power (more likely).

Check all these again.

keeth33

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I checked all the connections, cleared the CMOS, and extracted the old RAM, still nothing. The parts in this computer are no older than a year, and it worked fine before I tried to add the new RAM, so I have no idea what may be going on.

keeth33

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Correct. I checked all the connections cleared the cmos, a signal isn't even being sent to my monitor. I am beginning to fear that my motherboard may have been damaged for some reason!
I don't see why it would be though, I grounded myself and took all the standard steps before installing the new hardware..

keeth33

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Wonderful! After checking all the pins, I noticed that a case fan pin was unconnected, and this shared a line with the main circuit to the motherboard. Though in the end, I would bet the initial reason for it not working the best it could would be mixing the old and new RAM. Thanks all so much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.