Installed new RAM into my PC, Now none of my USB or Display ports work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2018
Hi guys.

I recently purchased a 16GB DDR3 RAM kit (It's G-skill) and installed it in place of my singular stock 8GB stick, but now my USB ports and Display ports won't function. My fans still spin and everything lights up as normal inside of my PC, but I can't use my keyboard and mouse and my display doesn't work.

I've already attempted to reinstall my old RAM stick, however, the problem persists even with that. I've also tried clearing my CMOS with my CPU's jumper (since I don't have a jumper on my CMOS pins) as well as removing my battery and reseating it after some time, but neither have worked.

Can anyone help me? My motherboard is an MSI 760GMA-P34(FX)

Solution
Have you tried taking the RAM completely out ? Checking if some of the RAM "teeth" are damaged, maybe even broken into the slot. Switch on without a RAM. Checking what the PC does now without RAM and then maybe can think about putting RAM back in. Like other's said you must of course always power down and unplug the PC before you modify the computer. You also not supposed to touch the teeth on the RAM because it might blow the RAM with static.

G
Aug 13, 2018
That's what I'm thinking, but I want to rule out all other possibilities before doling out for a new motherboard. I'm a student so I have very little money to spare when it comes to stuff like this.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
I'm not an expert. But that has me stumped also. I'm assuming you had the PC unplugged and the battery out for 5 mins or so when you reset. And all the plugs from the motherboard to power supply are in all of the way. Hopefully someone has a solution

Clear the bios. Breadboard the system. Take the motherboard out of the case. Put it on a piece of cardboard. Hook up CPU, memory, and power supply, video card if needed. Start the computer with the touch of a screwdriver, try a USB device, such as keyboard/mouse.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

That board has a speaker built in for error codes. Is it beeping at you?

I agree with the above post, disconnect everything start with motherboard and ram. Its possible you did damage something either via pressure or static electricity, but unlikely. Also make sure you install the old ram in the same slot it was before.

Aug 13, 2018
Hey Rouge.

I'm having a technician come tomorrow to check it out, but I will say that I did put a lot of pressure in the RAM while trying to put it in, which might have caused the issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its possible you could have broken something, ram should pop in with some pressure, if you didn't have the slots opened properly it would prevent it from seating fully.

But as I said the speaker should be beeping at you, usually a code of some sort (kind of like morse code)

Aug 13, 2018
There's no beeping at all. As stated, my PC has no problem switching on and staying on, it's just that none of my ports are working, meaning I can't utilize my HDMI to get a display and I can't use my peripherals since they're all USB.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If it boots it should do an initial single beep. How do you know the ports are the only thing not working? Can you confirm that the system is booting to windows, and if so how? Because you have no way of knowing that its actually working. Yes its turning on, but its clearly not booting which is your issue.

Aug 13, 2018
My PC doesn't beep when I switch it on. It hasn't done so since I got it. Also I'm fairly certain it's just the ports as my CPU fan functions just fine, and that's connected directly to the motherboard and draws power from it to function.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Correct, but that doesn't mean its booting up, which tells me again, your issue is not your ports aren't working, its that your system now will not boot. I'm assuming you have a hard drive, is the light for it flashing at all?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had trouble with memory once. It would power up, case, cpu and gpu fans spun but no display. Until i reseated ram then i got a display. So because you're not getting a display and no usb activity doesn't mean you couldn't fault the ram, its still possible it is.

Need to explain how you inserted ram. The question was asked if you unplugged the power before doing so, did you?

Check you haven't bumped anything like cpu/ gpu power and the correct dimm spots are used and seated properly with the dimm slot latches fully expanded outwards before doing so. Latches should click back into place evenly once memory is seated.

Aug 13, 2018
I was quite rough inserting the RAM due to not knowing about the 45 degree insertion method. I have a feeling this may have caused the issue. It's most definitely seated properly now though (My original RAM in the spot I removed it from initially), and still no luck. I've actually removed my GPU for the time being as the display port wasn't working, and so after every fix I've tried I have been plugging in my keyboard to see if the LED's light up - they don't.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I understand that and am well past it already, but again I'm telling you 100% for sure, your issue isn't that the "ports don't work", its that the system is not booting up. It powers on (hence fans and lights), but that means nothing.

If there was a ram error it would beep. So yeah there is a good chance you broke the board putting it in because the system clearly isn't booting. if nothing is lighting up properly, if you don't see your HDD access light flashing, your board is likely dead.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
You can't rely on the beep, many modern systems don't have a speaker connected to the board so you never hear it regardless.

Not sure what you mean by 45 degree insertion method, unless it's sodimm laptop style RAM ? but the main thing is to make sure the slots line up and the locking clips pop into place.

It's worth going over every connection and checking it, especially power connections and hard drive connections. But you have someone coming so maybe just wait for them.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I specifically mentioned beep codes because his specific board has a speaker built into it which is rare on recent boards.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Have you tried taking the RAM completely out ? Checking if some of the RAM "teeth" are damaged, maybe even broken into the slot. Switch on without a RAM. Checking what the PC does now without RAM and then maybe can think about putting RAM back in. Like other's said you must of course always power down and unplug the PC before you modify the computer. You also not supposed to touch the teeth on the RAM because it might blow the RAM with static.

G

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS