Question Installed new RAM, monitor not receiving signal, old RAM no longer works - several suggestions tried.

FearlessEconomist

Reputable
Nov 23, 2020
Hey all, hope you're doing well.

Decided to upgrade from 8GB all the way to 32GB of RAM. Got the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB chips (DDR4, 3200MHz), which apparently my Maximus VIII Hero motherboard should have no trouble handling.

When I first put them in, my PC made aggressive whirring sounds then kept turning itself off and on. Removed power cable, removed and reinserted the chips, reinserted cable, turned on, same thing.

I then switched my PC back on and it stayed on as usual, with no irregular sounds. Only thing that remained irregular was that there was no response from the monitor.

Here's what I've tried:

- Removing one stick, keeping one in its slot. Same thing: no monitor response.

- Tried putting them into the other slot pair. Aggressive sounds, PC beeping loudly (one long, two short, I think, then repeat).

- Checked the slots for dust. Clean. No physical damage to slots or chips.

- Putting my old 2x4GB RAM chips into their previous slots. Same thing: no monitor response. Removed and reinserted 2x16GB for next step.

- Hitting the RESET button on my Maximus VIII Hero motherboard is apparently all I need to do to clear the CMOS, which is the last thing I can think of and the only thing that makes sense to me at this point. No indication that this did anything when I switched PC back on.

- Despite insistence I didn't need to considering the above, I unplugged everything and took the motherboard battery out for 15 mins then reinserted and switched back on. PC switched itself off after ten seconds, then switched itself back on and is now in its previous state of being on with no monitor signal.

Have spent ages on forums, help pages, FAQs, etc., and I seem to have exhausted the suggestions I can find. Have been at this for hours. Am going crazy. No PC = no work.

Any suggestions?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP
original RAM: 8GB Kingston DUAL DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)

FearlessEconomist

Reputable
Nov 23, 2020
Hey guys, so after a while I unplugged the monitor from the motherboard and plugged it into my graphics card instead. Seems to have fixed it.

Why didn't I have it plugged into my graphics card in the first place? Good question.

Still, weird issue, I guess. If anyone can suggest why that may have taken place, that'd be interesting. Otherwise, issue solved... I think.