Question Installed new RAM, not getting the speed I thought I would.

Nov 13, 2019
Current setup:

Motherboard - AsusROG STRIX Z370 H Gaming
CPU - Intel I7-9700k
RAM - G.Skill Sniper X DDR4 - 3600 MHz 2x8GB

Just added into 2nd and 4th slot - G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 - 3600MHz 2x8GB

Problem:
Before I put the new RAM in, my default clock speed (using NZXTcam) was 1800MHz with my current clock speed being 3600MHz as I had set in the BIOS to Profile 1.
However, with the new RAM, this has dropped to default 1066MHz and current being 1795MHz, half of what it used to be. Still set to Profile 1 in BIOS.

Am I missing something? I thought that because both RAM sets were the same MHz that I would achieve the same clock speed.

RAM - G.Skill Sniper X DDR4 - 3600 MHz 2x8GB

Just added into 2nd and 4th slot - G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 - 3600MHz 2x8GB

So, you added 2 additional modules to your 2 existing ones? And a different model of memory, to be more precise?

If so, you are basically mixing RAM, and that often results in lower clocks, instability or other issues. Always use a certified dual channel kit. If you need 32GB, get a 4x8GB kit.

Nov 13, 2019
Show screenshots from CPU-Z memory and spd sections.
5mh5Nt.png

Nov 13, 2019
Quick question, have I installed the RAM correctly? Originally with only 2 sticks of RAM, I put it slot 0 and 2, and just naturally thought that my new RAM sticks would fill slots 1 and 3. However from some things i've read online, i'm wondering if I should have slots 0 and 1 being the same sticks and then slots 2 and 3 being my new sticks?

A2,B2 - first pair, A1,B1 - second pair.
Always read user manual.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-H-GAMING/HelpDesk_Manual/

A lesson I learned once upon a time. When my friend built my computer for me the RAM was mistakenly placed in the wrong 2 slots. That caused BSOD's, slow memory speed and other odd things like Fire Fox tabs that would randomly but consistently crash.

Once I placed them in the correct slots all those issues went away immediately. Now I have 4 slots populated and so its no longer an issue.

I do have a related question. I have a DDR4-3000 2x4GB Kit and a DDR4-3000 2x8GB Kit. The 2x4 kit is in A2, B2 and the 2x8GB kit is in A1, B1. Does it matter what ram is in which slots?

Nov 13, 2019
A lesson I learned once upon a time. When my friend built my computer for me the RAM was mistakenly placed in the wrong 2 slots. That caused BSOD's, slow memory speed and other odd things like Fire Fox tabs that would randomly but consistently crash.

Once I placed them in the correct slots all those issues went away immediately. Now I have 4 slots populated and so its no longer an issue.

I do have a related question. I have a DDR4-3000 2x4GB Kit and a DDR4-3000 2x8GB Kit. The 2x4 kit is in A2, B2 and the 2x8GB kit is in A1, B1. Does it matter what ram is in which slots?
Funny you mention that, Google Chrome tabs keep crashing since putting the RAM in too, keep getting the Aw, Snap! error. However I have the RAM setup how SkyNetRising has said to do so.

When combining different ram kits, it may be necessary to fine tune ram parameters manually.
Usually it is being done by increasing dram voltage, increasing timings and decreasing dram frequency.

I had to do this as well when I installed my 2x8GB Kit, both of my kits are from Corsair and are DDR4-3000 but the maximum stable manually configured speed and timing I could get was DDR4-2800 CAS 16.