[SOLVED] Installed new RAM, now computer gets BSODs and game crashes ?

jeefgeg

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Hello, I went out today and purchased a new kit of G.Skill Ripjaws 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3600 MHz , which replaced an old kit of mine (Crucial Ballistix 16Gb (2x8Gb) 3200MHz) as an upgrade. I decided to do this because 16 didn't feel like enough, as a lot of the time games would crash due to not enough ram being available, even after closing other background processes. Since installing this new RAM I tried playing smite, which caused multiple game crashes and a few BSOD. I'm currently doing a test to make sure the RAM isn't faulty.

I did have a small issue of crashing beforehand, but it never happened often, so I think the RAM may not be the issue but maybe getting faster RAM has just made the previous issue even worse. I tried changing the XMP profiles to both 1 and 2 to see if that changed anything, which it didn't. I also saw in other threads people saying a faulty power supply caused their issues, which I have always suspected but I'm not sure how to test a PSU for being faulty. I apologize for the long post, but I'm just asking for any advice on what I should do, as I'm not all that highly experienced in troubleshooting.

Also, the rest of the specs are:
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 O-8Gb
Intel i9-9900k

Thanks in advance to everyone

Solution
D
Yeah you boot into the bios and you just hit the button that resets it to default. Then if that works recheck that your memory is working at the proper speed or sent the proper XMP profile
D

Deleted member 14196

What is the exact make and model of the power supply. The only way to really test it is to have a spare and swap that in and see if the crash and goes away. Make sure to use a quality power supply with adequate power for your system

jeefgeg

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Update: The crashes got worse after swapping the RAM to the 2 other DIMM slots, so i decided to put my old RAM back in, which has nullified the issue completely. I assume it has something to do with the higher speed of the RAM causing some issue, possibly with my PSU.

D

Deleted member 14196

Did you reset your CMOS when you replace the RAM the first time? You should do that reset it to defaults and reboot

jeefgeg

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Did you reset your CMOS when you replace the RAM the first time? You should do that reset it to defaults and reboot
I did not, because I saw another thread saying it wasn't necessary, but I'll be sure to try that. Does that have to be done manually or can i do that by clicking the "reset bios" in my bios settings?

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah you boot into the bios and you just hit the button that resets it to default. Then if that works recheck that your memory is working at the proper speed or sent the proper XMP profile

Solution