[SOLVED] Installed new RAM, now monitors aren't receiving signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
Hi all, not sure if this belongs in the GPU or Memory section so I thought I'd ask here.
I just installed new memory on my Prime Z370-A mobo. The new RAM I got was the Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4. Now none of my monitors are recognizing my PC.

Here's what I've done:
Tried different slots with new RAM.
Tried Old ram combined with new ram.
Tried old ram.
Tried old ram in different slots.

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
Have you then enabled A-XMP / DOCP to run your RAM at the higher setting? They won't run at 3200 by default, you have to manually set the profile.

Is this also with JUST the new RAM?

I can set the RAM speed manually. Not sure what you mean by "Is this also with JUST the new RAM".
I had 16GB, but completely switched it out for new RAM and 32GB

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can set the RAM speed manually. Not sure what you mean by "Is this also with JUST the new RAM".
I had 16GB, but completely switched it out for new RAM and 32GB
That's what I wanted to make sure, that you didn't buy the new RAM with the intention of running it WITH the old RAM.

Is setting the speed manually now working? You might find depending on the software you use it will report it as running at 3200 or 1600(ish)

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
That's what I wanted to make sure, that you didn't buy the new RAM with the intention of running it WITH the old RAM.

Is setting the speed manually now working? You might find depending on the software you use it will report it as running at 3200 or 1600(ish)

So my old RAM was 16GB 2400 MHz or something like that. I now installed 32GB which can run at 3200MHz. It's showing I only have 16gb but is running at 3200MHz. How can I tell if it's not detecting one of the RAM slots? In Task Manager it's showing I'm only using slots one of two.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It looks like the second slot of my memory is not being used despite it working for my old RAM before installing it. It looks like it's installed correctly and connected.
As per the motherboard manual in dual channel too? (Just to make sure).

Try it in the other two slots then.
Following that try each RAM module in each slot. You may be able to narrow down if it's just configuration, a RAM module, or a RAM slot.

You may need to reset CMOS again also.

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
As per the motherboard manual in dual channel too? (Just to make sure).

Try it in the other two slots then.
Following that try each RAM module in each slot. You may be able to narrow down if it's just configuration, a RAM module, or a RAM slot.

You may need to reset CMOS again also.

Will performance be lower using the secondary channels? Just wondering.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Will performance be lower using the secondary channels? Just wondering.
Not sure what you mean by secondary channels. If you're just referring to the other two slots, as long as you've installed them as per the motherboard in dual channel, then it doesn't matter.

It's just that quite often many motherboards prefer them to be installed in a certain order, not for performance reasons.Which is why the MB manual will state usually 1 & 3 first, or 2 & 4.

So if the first 2 slots don't work, then just move over to the other two and see. it will make no performance difference.

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
Not sure what you mean by secondary channels. If you're just referring to the other two slots, as long as you've installed them as per the motherboard in dual channel, then it doesn't matter.

It's just that quite often many motherboards prefer them to be installed in a certain order, not for performance reasons.Which is why the MB manual will state usually 1 & 3 first, or 2 & 4.

So if the first 2 slots don't work, then just move over to the other two and see. it will make no performance difference.

After taking the CMOS battery out for a minute, putting it back in, and having the new RAM in slots 2 and 4, the monitor does not recognize the PC.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
After taking the CMOS battery out for a minute, putting it back in, and having the new RAM in slots 2 and 4, the monitor does not recognize the PC.
Then retry back to the original slots.
Have you also tried the other bit I mentioned?:

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
Then retry back to the original slots.
Have you also tried the other bit I mentioned?:

So after doing the CMOS again and putting the two ram sticks back in A1 and B1, A1 is only being recognized in the BIOS. I can try putting one RAM stick in each slot but if the pair wasn't even working in A2 and B2 I'm not sure if using one single one in the rest will work. I enabled XMP and it's still only showing A1.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So after doing the CMOS again and putting the two ram sticks back in A1 and B1, A1 is only being recognized in the BIOS. I can try putting one RAM stick in each slot but if the pair wasn't even working in A2 and B2 I'm not sure if using one single one in the rest will work. I enabled XMP and it's still only showing A1.
So you had a functioning computer before, took out the old RAM, installed the new, and then this occurred?
And presumably you've tried this process again with the old RAM and only A1 is being detected?

Was anything else changed/moved at all during this process?

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
So you had a functioning computer before, took out the old RAM, installed the new, and then this occurred?
And presumably you've tried this process again with the old RAM and only A1 is being detected?

Was anything else changed/moved at all during this process?

This is really weird!! I put in my old RAM and now it recognizes the B1 slot!

Both RAM work in slot A1, only the old one works in B1.

was the new RAM you puchased on your motherbords QVL list? it is possible if not then this could possibly be one way the ram isn't fully compatible with your mobo.

have you at any time checked to see if there were any BIOS updates for your motherbord? BIOS updates can improve ram compatibility

Reactions: PC Tailor

binarycoder1010

Commendable
Aug 31, 2018
was the new RAM you puchased on your motherbords QVL list? it is possible if not then this could possibly be one way the ram isn't fully compatible with your mobo.

have you at any time checked to see if there were any BIOS updates for your motherbord? BIOS updates can improve ram compatibility

I'm 99% sure it's compatible. Every 16GB 3200 MHz corsair RAM is 2 DIMM supported in the QVL list. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/Memory_QVL.pdf

I can go ahead and try manually downloading an update the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.