[SOLVED] Installed new Ram, PC wont boot up.

Brendan_42

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
I installed some new ram as the title implies. I previously had 3 ram sticks in, one 8gb and 2 4gb. I removed those and plugged in the new ram, 2 8gb sticks. The new ram should clock at a higher frequency of 3600mhz compared to the old ram that ran at 2133.

I plugged in the 2 new sticks and my pc booted up properly but the speed was still set to 2133 according to my Task Manager. So I went into my BIOS and set my target frequency to 3600mhz and then saved and restarted my PC and now it wont boot. any suggestions?

For context, I have an ASUS X570-P mother board that has ram frequency support up to 4400mhz.

Solution
unfortunately, im pressed for time and have to leave for work now. ill get back to this tomorrow most likely. but i apologize for the inconvenience. the timing for this problem to occur has just been poor
No worries. Your issue is Ryzen doesn’t like odd timings. Try 3600mhz, you’ll need to manually set the timings to 18-20-20-40 and it should work fine.
I installed some new ram as the title implies. I previously had 3 ram sticks in, one 8gb and 2 4gb. I removed those and plugged in the new ram, 2 8gb sticks. The new ram should clock at a higher frequency of 3600mhz compared to the old ram that ran at 2133.

I plugged in the 2 new sticks and my pc booted up properly but the speed was still set to 2133 according to my Task Manager. So I went into my BIOS and set my target frequency to 3600mhz and then saved and restarted my PC and now it wont boot. any suggestions?

For context, I have an ASUS X570-P mother board that has ram frequency support up to 4400mhz.
What are your RAM timings? Reset your CMOS first and it should boot.

Brendan_42

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
You have to remove the CMOS battery on your motherboard.

did your computer just “fail to boot” or was it restarting a bunch of times and you just turned it off?
I hit the power button and then the fans start up and just run. ive been letting it run a little bit to see if anything changes but no, its just sitting here running but nothing else is happening, not even restarting over and over.

I hit the power button and then the fans start up and just run. ive been letting it run a little bit to see if anything changes but no, its just sitting here running but nothing else is happening, not even restarting over and over.

Until you clear your CMOS it’s never going to boot.

unfortunately, im pressed for time and have to leave for work now. ill get back to this tomorrow most likely. but i apologize for the inconvenience. the timing for this problem to occur has just been poor
No worries. Your issue is Ryzen doesn’t like odd timings. Try 3600mhz, you’ll need to manually set the timings to 18-20-20-40 and it should work fine.

Solution

Brendan_42

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
I did it! Went into the bios and enabled the Asus DOCP settings and it automatically adjusted my clock speeds for me. RAM Frequency is now at 3600mhz, thanks for your help yesterday!

Reactions: bmockeg