Installed New Ram Stick and my PC will no longer boot.

Ethan Djeric

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
After adding 8 gbs(2x4 G.SKILL ARES) of RAM to my existing 2gbs of RAM(2x1 G.SKILL RIPJAWS) to my pc (GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P motherboard) my computer no longer boots. It either boots up then continually beeps rapidly until I turn off my psu or fails to boot at all(most of the time it is the latter). Earlier that day I installed a sound-card, however I had booted it 2 or 3 times with it in andgot it working. Crucial says my motherboard can take up to 16 gb of ram. I have tried putting it back to its original configuration to no avail.
Thanks for any help.
EDIT: I added the 8gbs..before this it had only 1x2...

Solution
G
Alright, check the following link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=816

To me it sounds like the mobo is fine and it is the memory sticks that are fried, although you may want to compare the type of beep you're getting with the info in the above link and draw your own conclusion. Also, I checked, your mobo has dual BIOS so if you had corrupted/damaged the...
G

Mixing non-identical RAM sticks is never a good idea. Besides the maximum theoretical system performance gain of going from 8GB to 10GB would be less than 1%. Practically, a 2x4gb system would perform better than a 2x4+1×2gb system, despite having 2gb less.

Anyhow, on to the booting problem:

-Remove the 1x2GB sticks and put the two 4gb sticks like so "| X | X". Where | is an empty slot, meaning there is an empty slot between the two sticks.

- Reset your BIOS.

- Reboot.

G

- Remove the power cable from the wall socket.

- Open the left side (from the front) of your system case.

- Remove the CMOS battery as shown in the following picture. [Note: The location of the battery is different on every motherboard, but every motherboard has one.]

2010-03-29_222225_remove-bios-battery.jpg

- With the battery removed, and the power cable still disconnected, press the system's power button a few time.

- Place the battery back in, as it was before.

- Reconnect the power cable, and try to boot the system.

The above procedure resets the BIOS settings to the factory defaults, If this doesn't work at all, then the possibility is that either the BIOS is damaged (in which case I hope your mobo has a backup BIOS), or less likely that there is some hardware damage on the motherboard.

Ethan Djeric

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

No luck...would replacing the motherboard be the next step?
Thanks

G

What GPU do you have in this system? If you have a discrete GPU, are you sure it has the necessary power cables attached properly?

Also, earlier you said the mobo is GA-P551-UD3P. Are you sure it isn't the GA-P55 A -UD3P?

Lastly, before you consider replacing the mobo, try disconnecting all non-critical peripherals from it and then booting. As in, disconnecting all the drives, removing all expansion cards, removing the GPU and using the on-board graphics instead, even disconnecting speakers, mouse and keyboard. Once everything is disconnected, so that the mobo is only connected to the PSU via two cables, the fat 20+4 pin cable and the thin 4 pin CPU cable, and the monitor. Try booting up in this configuration. Once you've turned on the system, let it run for least a minute and observe what happens.

Ethan Djeric

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Tried one stick at a time. Removing all peripherals does nothing..just continuous long beeps like before. Tried one module of ram at a time...was one of my first things to do. Have edited the Mobo model..what you stated is correct, PlayerTwo.
Thanks
EDIT: gpu is a gigabyte GV-R585OC-1GD. It is discrete, and it has all the necessary power cables.

G

Alright, check the following link:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=816

To me it sounds like the mobo is fine and it is the memory sticks that are fried, although you may want to compare the type of beep you're getting with the info in the above link and draw your own conclusion. Also, I checked, your mobo has dual BIOS so if you had corrupted/damaged the primary BIOS then the secondary chip would've taken over automatically (that's why I asked you to wait for a minute or so, to let the mobo automatically initiate the secondary BIOS, if the main BIOS got fried).

Anyhow, I personally would RMA both the mobo and the RAM, just to be on the safe side.

Solution