Reputable
Oct 23, 2018
Hello friends :)

First things first, here are my specs:
Mobo - ASRock Z97 Extreme6 // Mobo Link
CPU - i7 4790K // my precious
GPU - RTX 3070 Ti // yeah, yeah, yeah lol
PSU - Corsair CX750M

Everything is stock; I've never overclocked any components. Win10 is installed onto an M.2 SSD. All my storage devices are SSD's.

So my build is from 2015, minus the GPU. Since day one, I've used Corsair's Dominator Platinum (DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz). When I was looking to upgrade my GTX 980, I came across a thread saying upgrading the RAM would help performance if I were to buy an RTX 3070 Ti. The thread suggested getting G.Skill's Sniper Series (DDR3 @ 2400 MHz).

I just installed the new RAM. Everything works fine. There were some minor hiccups but I managed to work them out. I took notes down of the new RAM's specs. I then installed my old RAM so I could compare my notes from the new RAM to the old RAM.
The old RAM doesn't seem to work anymore? After reinstalling it and powering up my PC, my monitor stayed black. All my components powered up and everything is connected properly, but I wasn't able to even get into BIOS.

Any thoughts?

The only thing I can think of is, maybe I accidentally fried my old RAM? How would I test that theory out?

-Joe

Solution
Ram wouldn't be fried, it'll be the motherboard being confused depending if you didn't reset memory settings so lower spec ram could run at automatic settings. Similarly if had a high Hz monitor and forgot to change Hz before connecting lower Hz monitor, will be no signal.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ram wouldn't be fried, it'll be the motherboard being confused depending if you didn't reset memory settings so lower spec ram could run at automatic settings. Similarly if had a high Hz monitor and forgot to change Hz before connecting lower Hz monitor, will be no signal.

Reactions: spinnnerrr91
Solution