[SOLVED] Installed new SSD but have lower frame rates ?

xronhs98

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Hello guys, so yesterday i bought a new 870 evo 1TB ssd to store my games in cause i only had an HDD. At first i just copied Modern warfare 2019 and Black ops Cold War to the new ssd and deleted it from my HDD, i opened up Cold war but the fps were as usual and normal. Then i open Warzone and MW Multiplayer and my frames were butchered like more than half, on Multiplayer i had like 70-80 frames even though i used to play with 170-180. I tried all settings, went back to the 457.30 nvidia driver that kinda helped and made the game run at 120fps but still not the same as it was, also uninstalled MW and installed it clean on the ssd but still the same, im kinda bummed out. Thanks for anyone that will read this and help🙏
PC Specs: I5 8600k
Aorus 2060 Super, 16GB ram 3200mhz.

Solution
Hey there,

So, in general terms an SSD doesn't increase or decrease FPS. That's primarily down to CPU/GPU/RAM. An SSD will more or less give you faster boot/loading times for games and will make Windows feel super snappy.

The only time it might affect it, is if your had a low amount of ram or high ram usage forcing your system to use the swap file/virtual mem which would be on the SSD. But with 16gb I don't see that happening, unless you had a heap of chrome tabs open in the backround.

It's possibly something else.

So, is your OS on the HDD still? If not, I'd prob start there, and install the OS on the SSD, and use the HDD for game storage in general, but keeping your favourite games on the SSD, as that will help with loading times...
Hey there,

So, in general terms an SSD doesn't increase or decrease FPS. That's primarily down to CPU/GPU/RAM. An SSD will more or less give you faster boot/loading times for games and will make Windows feel super snappy.

The only time it might affect it, is if your had a low amount of ram or high ram usage forcing your system to use the swap file/virtual mem which would be on the SSD. But with 16gb I don't see that happening, unless you had a heap of chrome tabs open in the backround.

So, is your OS on the HDD still? If not, I'd prob start there, and install the OS on the SSD, and use the HDD for game storage in general, but keeping your favourite games on the SSD, as that will help with loading times, as I mentioned.

Also, for Steam/Origin/Battlenet etc you can move games to different drives in app. It's very useful for transferring everything and leaving it clean.

Solution

xronhs98

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Hey there,

So, is your OS on the HDD still? If not, I'd prob start there, and install the OS on the SSD, and use the HDD for game storage in general, but keeping your favourite games on the SSD, as that will help with loading times, as I mentioned.

Also, for Steam/Origin/Battlenet etc you can move games to different drives in app. It's very useful for transferring everything and leaving it clean.

Hello there. thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention have a 2nd SSD that has my OS on it from the start of the build, the only thing i changed was i moved two games from hdd to ssd and now my game is working half the frames especially in Call of duty Warzone, i had 130 average fps on the hdd and now on the SSD i have 75-80 with the game feeling laggy and stuttery and i cant understand why.

Last edited:

xronhs98

Prominent
Sep 14, 2019
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thank you for the going out of your day and helping me I appreciate it, i seemed to have found a solution, when i see higher Cpu/Gpu times I alt+Tab or Alt+Enter until it goes back to normal, i think this might be a game related issue.
Glad to offer some help :)

Ah, that's great you've found a work a round. Are you running the games in windowed mode or full screen. Try both and see if that helps.

Good luck and happy gaming!