Question Installed new SSD, PC wouldn't power on after.

May 9, 2020
So my friend purchased a 500gb 860 Evo and I installed it today. He has a Corsair CXM 550W. I used a, never before used, sata power cable, plugged into one of the open 6pin slots on the psu. The PC would not power on after this. I unplugged the cable, leaving the hdd hooked up, and it powered up no problem. I ended up having to unplug the power from the hdd and hook it up to the ssd. Booted up fine, installed windows, etc. Tried using the problem cable on the hdd, pc wouldn't power up. So I think it's either a bad cable, which is odd because I have never used it before. Or the psu cant supply enough wattage? Which would also be odd because it should be enough to power the whole build. Any ideas? Thank you.

So my friend purchased a 500gb 860 Evo and I installed it today. He has a Corsair CXM 550W. I used a, never before used, sata power cable, plugged into one of the open 6pin slots on the psu.

You have a CX550M. Not a CX550. CX550 is not modular.

Where did the cable come from? Did it come with the CX550M?

What markings are on the connector that plugs into the PSU?

Reactions: harriscaleb13
May 9, 2020
You have a CX550M. Not a CX550. CX550 is not modular.

Where did the cable come from? Did it come with the CX550M?

What markings are on the connector that plugs into the PSU?
Yea you are right its a CX550 M. I'm not sure if it was from my psu (EVGA Supernova GS 650W) or his, I kept his spare parts for him so it could be from either. The cable doesn't have any EVGA markings on it, and I think mine do? Not sure. The side that goes into the psu says SATA NB49 and GS-B on the side (maybe GS because its mine?). I don't have an extra cable to test at the moment, think I can get one from a friend tomorrow.

The side that goes into the psu says SATA NB49 and GS-B on the side (maybe GS because its mine?)

Ok. That's not a Corsair cable. That's an EVGA cable.

You can't use non-Corsair cables in a Corsair PSU just like you can't use non-EVGA cables in an EVGA PSU.

There's a reason why guys like this have a million different "series" for different PSUs that are on the market: https://cablemod.com/products/

You're lucky if you didn't fry anything. Seems like short circuit protection on the PSU worked and it prevented you from damaging anything. At least let's hope so.

Find the Corsair cable that came with his PSU before you do anything else.

Reactions: harriscaleb13
May 9, 2020
Ok. That's not a Corsair cable. That's an EVGA cable.

You can't use non-Corsair cables in a Corsair PSU just like you can't use non-EVGA cables in an EVGA PSU.

There's a reason why guys like this have a million different "series" for different PSUs that are on the market: https://cablemod.com/products/

You're lucky if you didn't fry anything. Seems like short circuit protection on the PSU worked and it prevented you from damaging anything. At least let's hope so.

Find the Corsair cable that came with his PSU before you do anything else.

Yea I'm afraid you're right. Thanks for the help btw. When I left the PC was booting fine (restarted multiple times) and running well on the ssd. Friend just called me and said he installed COD and it bluescreened while playing, and now when the pc boots it goes to bios and the ssd isnt being recognized, all sata ports are showing empty. He has rebooted multiple times and cant get out of bios. Probably related? Any troubleshooting ideas? His HDD is still in the tower, with no power cable plugged in, I guess he could hook the HDD back up and at least use his pc for now, until i can get it tomorrow to look at it? He hasnt formatted the HDD yet so it still has windows on it and everything.

TRENDING THREADS