Installed new water cooler for CPU, now no display or POST beeps.

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
I installed a brand new NZXT x42 water cooler for my brother-in-law last night, and now we can't get it to boot up. I used my anti-static gear so I highly doubt anything is shorted out. This is the computer in question: <link>. All I did was take out the stock fan and heatsink, clean off the old thermal compound, put new thermal compound on (I used the good stuff, Arctic Silver 5), and install the new pump and fan/radiator combo. I didn't unplug the 4-pin connector that powers the CPU because it wasn't necessary, so that can't be why it's not starting up, although that's how it's acting. I thought that I might have bumped the RAM while installing the new cooler, so I reseated it. The radiator fan is connected to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, so that shouldn't cause it to not boot up. The only thing I can think that would cause the computer to not boot up is maybe the power supply can't handle it? Maybe someone on the forum who is more knowledgeable than I am can help me out here because I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what's keeping it from POSTing.

Solution
Well it turns out that I'm an idiot. :p Or maybe just blind. Fiance took a look at the CPU and it turns out that there was a pin or two bent. Once he got it straightened out, he turned it on and it finally did a POST and everything checked out okay. I guess you never can take a close enough look, because everything looked fine to me, but I guess I need glasses.

If a moderator could set this as the solution, that would be great.
Jan 28, 2018
Did you make sure you connected the CPU fan. Even tho you do not need it connected because the cooling happens with the Radiator fans. Their is a fan connector that goes from the Pump to the Cpu fan header on the motherboard. the computer will not boot if it is not connected. with this being said. connect the pump to the cpu fan header. connect fans to the radiator to the regular fan headers. i own the x62 Kraken

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

No, you're looking at *my* computer specs. I have the CX600 in my own personal computer. I supplied a link in the original post to his actual computer. To answer your question, I took out the RAM and the CPU and put it back in. I never touched any of the other hardware inside of the computer.

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

Yes, the power is switched on. When I turn the power on, the power button lights up, fans spin, but there are no beeps at all. He told me when he starts it up there's always one beep almost immediately after the button is pressed.

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

Yes, as I said in the original post, the radiator fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header. Everything is hooked up per the directions that came with the pump. I offered to help him with his new pump because I also own the x62 and know how to connect everything.

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I should mention that when my fiance got home, he actually looked into it and read the directions and plugged in things how they should be. It didn't fix anything though.

Jan 28, 2018
Did you by chance connect the internal usb 2.0 connector? and was the sata connection hooked up to the pump. I know it sounds like im asking stupid questions but believe me i make mistakes like this all the time. also its a good chance it is your power supply running a 350 is cutting it close in my opinion. i always recommend a power supply over whats required. say you need 300 watts i would go for a 500 just to have a safe buffer.

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, all the power cords are hooked up appropriately. I was thinking that his weak power supply might be the problem, but I wanted to exhaust all other options before I unhook my CX600 and fire it up, because there's so much work involved in transferring hardware over. :heink:

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

I know, I'm stumped too. I've found a used - like new CX600 PSU on Newegg that might be worth trying if that does end up being the culprit.

Lt Mashumaro

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Well it turns out that I'm an idiot. :p Or maybe just blind. Fiance took a look at the CPU and it turns out that there was a pin or two bent. Once he got it straightened out, he turned it on and it finally did a POST and everything checked out okay. I guess you never can take a close enough look, because everything looked fine to me, but I guess I need glasses.

If a moderator could set this as the solution, that would be great.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS