Installed old case fan into computer, Attached Molex and 3pin on mobo.. won't start now

Tony Burton

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Update: Alright, so doing all of the steps above i've come to the conclusion the motherboard is shot. Although there are no visual signs of it shorting out absolutely nothing showed signs of power.
I have a new MSI Z370 Gaming Plus Motherboard that shows signs of power! Everything seems to power on. However I do not get any display...

I have tried removing my graphics card and running off integrated graphics.

Reseating / Using only 1 RAM stick and then 2.

Plugging in HDMI and DVI connections via graphics card.

Resetting the CMOS battery.

Switched to a 60hz monitor instead of my 144hz.

Booting without SSD's attached.

Reseated CPU / CPU COOLER

Tried roommates PSU

All to no Display - **NO EZ DEBUG LIGHTS ARE STAYING LIT UP AFTER THE BOOT PROCESS**
--------------------------
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue here and I'm pretty sure the answer to my issue is not going to be good..

I recently found an old case fan I had from a previous build and decided to add it to my new build.
this fan had a 3pin connector which would usually go into a sys_fan connection on my motherboard as all of my other fans do, however this one would not receive power connecting to my motherboard. I noticed the cord ALSO had a molex connection so I decided I would plug that in as well with the fan still connected to my motherboard. *upon further inspection where I connected the old case fan to was not sys_fan but JRP1. which is right next to JRP2 where my Power SW Reset SW/ and LED connections are located.

While my case was open I also unplugged my GFX Card and cleaned it out with a little handheld electric vacuum thing used to clean off keyboards. and flipped 2 of my case fans to redirect the airflow in my case. In doing so I needed to remove the front panel of my case to access my front case fan screws.

upon turning on my PC everything turned on for a split second and then shut off.. No signs of power have been seen since.

I have removed the fan entirely and have tried troubleshooting absolutely everything to no solution.
Everything is plugged in correctly 100% and I can't seem to get any response of power.

I have tried my roommates power supply
Unplugged everything but power to the mobo, then the cpu, and tried to trail and error parts that would be shorting to stop it from booting..
None of the capacitors on the motherboard or any part on it have any signs on shorting out.
Tried using the Reset Switch on the power / Power sw on the Reset.
New outlet, new power strip.
removed 1 and then both sticks of ram
with and without graphics card.
Changed out power cords

Nothing has shown any signs of receiving power what so ever.
Really frustrated with this as I have tried just about everything and wasn't even my original plan.. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

My Build:
Mobo - MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS CFX ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel i5-8600 Coffee Lake
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb x2
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 1060 8gb
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega
PSU: Corsair 600w

Extra info: whole reason for taking apart my case was my graphics card was running unusually hot while gaming tonight (80c not much hotter than normal only by 2 degrees) so i decided to clean it
A few days prior I set up a preset xmp for my corsair RAM have had no issues with it.

the only thing you havent tried would be to pull the Cmos battery, unplug the PSU so there is no power getting to the computer and hold the power button down for 10 or so seconds to drain any power out of the caps and system. This might do a full reset for the motherboard and boot up afterwords.

Not knowing the exact model motherboard you have i couldnt find the manual to see what the JRP1 pins do. But plugging the fan 3 pin into it and then plugging in the molex might have fried your board.

Tony Burton

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
faalin my apologies my full motherboard model is
MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS CFX ATX Motherboard
Which I believe the JRP1 connector goes to my mobo speaker. Which if is the case Evongugg's troubleshooting with the beeper will not be usable if I am not mistaken..

Tony Burton

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Alright, so doing all of the steps above i've come to the conclusion the motherboard is shot. Although there are no visual signs of it shorting out absolutely nothing showed signs of power.
I have a new MSI Z370 Motherboard that shows signs of power! Everything seems to power on. However I do not get any display...

I have tried the following:

Double checking all connections made sure they are secure.

Removing my graphics card and running off integrated graphics.

Reseating / Using only 1 RAM stick and then 2 and 0.

Plugging in HDMI and DVI connections via graphics card.

Resetting the CMOS battery.

Switched to a 60hz monitor instead of my 144hz.

Booting without SSD's attached.

Reseated CPU / CPU COOLER

Tried roommates PSU

All to no Display