Installed ram, pc black screen [Solved]

seized7x

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
So I had 2x2gb pc3 10600 ram sticks in my sager np5170 laptop.

I decided to purchase 2x4gb pc3 10666 ram sticks.

After I installed the ram, the pc wont boot, the screen stays black and my HDD light only flickers
on for a few seconds. My gpu and wifi light stay orange as well as my hotswap button (when my pc is normally functioning, an orange gpu light means its using my nvidia chip)

I swapped out the RAM back to my old ram but no dice.
Every once and awhile the laptop with boot for a second and then just shut down.

It's running an i7 core @ 2ghz, nvidia gt 540m 1gb.

2 ram slots, I swapped them out in pairs and also tried. One of each chips in both slots to see if the slots were bad. Aghh.

Solution
I would wonder if there is a way to clear cmos like you have on a desktop. What you can try is remove the battery and wait a few and then put it back in and see if that makes a difference.
By removing the cmos battery you are doing a reset of the bios and sometimes that helps with the clearing of settings so you can start over so to speak and since you had a different ram in there maybe the bios got confused and a reset might help. If you could get to go into the bios you could do a reset there but sometimes when the computer won't even boot this is the only option unless you had a clear cmos button , which some motherboards have.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Clearing the Cmos should not make a difference. Sounds like you knocked something loose. If it was just RAM compatablity, the old RAM would have set thing right. Check to see if you were near the CPU heat sink. Overheat will shut the system down. Otherwise look for loose connections like ribbon wires. Gentle flexing of the system board may help a bad connection as well.

seized7x

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I unscrewed and re screwed i my heatsink over the cpu to ensure it was nice and sturdy. I guess the hunt begins.

Is there a chance I could have shorted or shocked my board into oblivion (static electricity seeing as I don't have a grounding bracelet.

seized7x

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Resetting the CMOS battery worked! Yanked the thing out, stuck it back in and waited 10 minutes.

You sir are a gentlemen and a scholar and I thank all of you who replied as well :D.