Installed RAM problem.

SuCkDuBsTeP

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
I have gigabyte ga-ep41-udl3 with 4 ddr2 slots can support every ddr2 ram and currently I have 2x2 2gb 800 mhz 5-5-5-5-15 I think it goes like that and when I add 1gb ddr2 ram 5-5-5-5-18 pc just doesn't want to boot up or it gives me blue screen etc..But I didn't know my motherboard is using dual channel memory so I am asking you guys I want to buy 2x2 2gb apacer 800 mhz and will my pc boot up then ?I mean if it doesn't I will go to the service so they can fix it but I just want to know without spending 10$ on service...Thanx anyway

Solution
This motherboard officially supports up to 8GB of memory, which is 4 sticks of 2GB. Now, will old memory work fine with the new one? Most likely it will work, but there are no guarantees- so it is best to test when buying, or have an option to return it. I'd recommend setting memory speeds in bios to Auto before installing new memory. Also, try googling model number of your motherboard + name of new RAM, to check if people had issues with the combination.
If you want more ram, plan on buying a compatible kit of the capacity you need.
2 x 4gb is what you need to buy.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when 4 sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

neblogai

Distinguished
This motherboard officially supports up to 8GB of memory, which is 4 sticks of 2GB. Now, will old memory work fine with the new one? Most likely it will work, but there are no guarantees- so it is best to test when buying, or have an option to return it. I'd recommend setting memory speeds in bios to Auto before installing new memory. Also, try googling model number of your motherboard + name of new RAM, to check if people had issues with the combination.

Solution

SuCkDuBsTeP

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
Well my bios is probably old because there are no such things as to put Ram to auto and all those stuff there is option to increase voltage and all those things.But I will try ram before I buy it then.

neblogai

Distinguished
RAM voltage might also be important. Some 800MHz speed RAM needed 1.9V or 2.0 to operate at that clock with low timings; in that case all RAM will have to be set to work at higher voltage. Required voltage is usually easily seen on RAM labels.

SuCkDuBsTeP

Honorable
Sep 27, 2015
Ok I just talked with a guy he have 2 2x2gb corsair 800 mhz but on 5-5-5-18 and I have ram in my pc with same spec 5-5-5-15 with same voltage 1.8 so I am wondering can that go together bcs in my bios it says I have 5-5-5-15 while this ram I want to buy is 5-5-5-18 800mhz?