Question Installed Ryzen 7 2700X on B350 Arctic no display with updated bios

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Did you set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults Before you installed the 2700x ?
Also did you CLEAR the CMOS by unplugging the PSU, then pressing the power button in for at least 30 seconds then short the RTC/CMOS jumper for at least 10 seconds ?
If not then do that.
Also I would remove all but 1 stick of RAM before rebooting.
Then once you can POST and get into the BIOS, save the settings again and turn off the PC and add back the second stick (or more if you have them).

Sep 5, 2019
Did you set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults Before you installed the 2700x ?
Also did you CLEAR the CMOS by unplugging the PSU, then pressing the power button in for at least 30 seconds then short the RTC/CMOS jumper for at least 10 seconds ?
If not then do that.
Also I would remove all but 1 stick of RAM before rebooting.
Then add it back once you can POST and get into the BIOS.
the cmos automatically reset when i tried swapping it before updating bios, because i put my old cpu in and it booted with cleared cmos. what ram stick do i leave in? — and the pc boots just no display unless i have my old cpu in.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
You should still clear the CMOS as I stated above with the 2700x installed.
Just because it reset to defaults does NOT mean that there aren't some settings left over from your older CPU that are causing a problem for the new CPU.
And since I don't know your full specifications I can't answer your question about what RAM stick or what RAM slot to use.
Please list your complete specifications including make and model of every component in your PC.

EDIT I just looked in your manual (Page 26) and you need to put one stick of RAM in Slot A2 (2nd from the CPU).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019
You should still clear the CMOS as I stated above with the 2700x installed.
Just because it reset to defaults does NOT mean that there aren't some settings left over from your older CPU that are causing a problem for the new CPU.
And since I don't know your full specifications I can't answer your question about what RAM stick or what RAM slot to use.
Please list your complete specifications including make and model of every component in your PC.

i just noticed the CPU LED is on when i boot it.

specs are:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card

not sure if memory matters so i didn’t include it

the cpu switched from ryzen 7 1700x to 2700x

how do i reset cmos without turning it on?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
how do i reset cmos without turning it on?
Follow these Steps:
1. Turn OFF the PC and Unplug it.
2 Press and hold the Power Button in for 30 seconds
3. Use a flat screw driver to short the Clear CMOS jumper on your motherboard (these are 2 metal mins and the screw driver must touch them, both at the same time to short it).
Or you can use a Jumper cap on both pins for 30 seconds if your motherboard has one on one pin already.
See page 36 in your manual.
4. put he jumper cap back on just one pin if you used one or take the screw driver out of/away from the PC.
5 Plug the PC back in and try to POST.
6. let it try for a minute or so just to see if it will even try to POST.

PS
You need to have a CPU and the CPU Cooler installed or it will NOT get past the CPU test and the RED LED will stay lit up.

You may even have to do this a few times for it to work.

Sep 5, 2019
Follow these Steps:
1. Turn OFF the PC and Unplug it.
2 Press and hold the Power Button in for 30 seconds
3. Use a flat screw driver to short the Clear CMOS jumper on your motherboard (these are 2 metal mins and the screw driver must touch them, both at the same time to short it).
Or you can use a Jumper cap on both pins for 30 seconds if your motherboard has one on one pin already.
See page 36 in your manual.
4. put he jumper cap back on just one pin if you used one or take the screw driver out of/away from the PC.
5 Plug the PC back in and try to POST.
6. let it try for a minute or so just to see if it will even try to POST.

PS
You need to have a CPU and the CPU Cooler installed or it will NOT get past the CPU test and the RED LED will stay lit up.

You may even have to do this a few times for it to work.
it will not POST. i removed the battery from the mobo to clear the cmos and tried both pins with a screwdriver. cpu led is on. i guess i’ll have to change back to old cpu for the 4th time and check what the bios version is on. i’m 99% sure it’s the latest.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
If you do have the right BIOS, I would clear the CMOS multiple times.
It took me 3 times before my MB recognized my new 3700x and would POST.

PS
Looking at your MB support page, BIOS 7A34vHI is the best BIOS for use with a 2000 series CPU.
The newest BIOS should still work but is really for 3000 series CPUs.