Question Installed Samsung SSD, CPU's Running Hot, Fan's Always Blowing

Jul 22, 2020
Hi. Product: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 SATA Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-N6E1T0BW). I migrated from an older Samsung SSD to the new one using Samsung Data Migration, and now my CPU fan is always blowing. CPU% shows normal levels, but temperatures are often in the 80s Celsius when a browser is open. Starting the browser sends it into the 90s. Then it drops to the 70's. I have four CPU cores in the 8th Gen i5. One at a time, each one will suddenly jump up by 10 degrees for a couple seconds, like from 75 degrees to 85 degrees. When I watch a YouTubevideo, it goes into the 80s frequently. When I unplug the laptop from the charger, that's the only time the fan goes quiet. It feels very hot when I touch the computer from the bottom.

Right now, the cores are averaging 80 degrees C one minute and 70 the next. One browser is open, and there are 20 tabs. I'm only running a Samsung Magician diagnostic scan otherwise. Without pulling out the CPU fan, it looks clear. The computer is a year old. I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2020
UPDATE: I tested my old SSD, a Samsung, and got the same problem. I canceled the return and re-installed the new SSD. Then I downloaded the ThrottleStop app. Idle with 25 Chrome tabs open, the temp is now in the 40s for the first time. It's usually in the 50's. Even during a YouTube video, it doesn't seem to want to go past 60. Far better now.

Everyone with an LG Gram of any size, take note. This looks like a software issue related to how the CPU cores take orders and execute them.

ASK THE COMMUNITY