Installed SSD and can't access things from old HDD

becomelegends7

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
I just put an SSD into my PC and installed windows to it (Disconnected my HDD to avoid losing things)

I then plugged my HDD back in and set SSD to boot priority. When I get to my desktop, I can see both drives and all files on them, but I can't use anything on my old HDD without moving it to my SSD, so my PC is essentially acting like the files I have on my HDD don't exist. Any help is appreciated, let me know if you need any more information

Solution

"apps" absolutely will not work that way.
When an application is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
Your new OS on the SSD knows nothing about them.

You need to actually install them again.

USAFRet

Titan

What "things" are you trying to use from the HDD?
You can't use the applications as they exist on the HDD. Your new OS knows nothing about them.

becomelegends7

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

I'm trying to use all files from my HDD. For example: If I search for apps on my HDD through windows' search bar, nothing comes up, yet I can navigate to the Drive and open the app through file explorer
Is there a way to make my new OS essentially 'know' about them?

becomelegends7

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

I followed this but didn't notice any difference. Maybe I didn't give the correct user ownership? Is there a way to check what user is indefinitely my main one?

Thank you for the response btw

USAFRet

Titan

"apps" absolutely will not work that way.
When an application is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
Your new OS on the SSD knows nothing about them.

You need to actually install them again.

Solution

becomelegends7

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

Ok got it now thank you for clearing that up

Jul 31, 2019
I did the same thing. If I redownload everything will I lose all my progress? I play a lot of R6 siege... Will I need to completely restart back at level one and lose all the time and money I put into the game. Or will it recognise me